trompe l’oeil - Rex Whistler's Smoking Urn

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I was uncertain whether to put this in as a WiP, as I've been doing it for about a year and still a long, long way to go to get it just right.  For all those who are familiar with trompe l’oeil you will know about the mater, Rex Whistler, and his room at Mottisfont, Hants. which is a must to see if you are in the area.  Check out the paint pot if you do go.  It is remarkable how he was able to produce the 3D effect with such skill.  My painting certainly tests my limited skills in this art,  but I love the technique it results it can produce and one day will finish it.
I couldn’t work on a painting for years, but hopefully you’ll get there eventually with this composition. The best trompe l’oeil painting I have seen is of a violin hanging on a door, and that was at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. Breathtaking 3D reality which of course is simply an illusion, clever stuff!
Thanks Alan. I've just looked up the trompe l'oeil example you mention and indeed it is breathtaking, perhaps I should have attempted that composition as my first crack at the art of illusion, it certainly looks easier.  But I will persevere now that I have started and post the final version, eventually.
Thought you'd like that one Shelagh, it certainly is stunning. I've enclosed an image so that others who may be interested can see it. 

Edited
by Alan Bickley

That is amazing Alan, I do love trompe l'oeil and this is good as it gets.
That is amazing Alan, I do love trompe l'oeil, do you know who painted it? Whistler's mural at Plas Newydd in Anglesey is quite spectacular too! 
Yes it’s by the Dutch artist  Jan van der Vaardt. Incredible to think that it’s painted on an actual panelled door. Needless to say that it looks better in real life, in fact the image that I’ve downloaded isn’t the best.
Yes Alan it’s superb! I have seen it in real life several times and always took the breathe away!