The walled garden

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I need to pull this painting back from becoming too twee, do you think it needs more figures in the background. Any ideas or suggestions please
I've not been painting a year yet but I can see the figure's head is turned, he is looking at something, something has took his interest. If I was doing a similar painting, I would put a hint of something coming into scene. I must say, I often don't know what I'm talking about but that's what I would do. I would probably put a horses lower leg coming onto the canvas. I can picture that on this painting. I'm sure the more experience members will be along with good advice for you.
Thank you, the scene is lacking something, I am looking at other figures, just suggested. Hopefully it can be resolved Steve
Interesting painting Stephen. I think Denise has a point as your person seems to be looking at something off to the right of the picture. I wouldn’t add other figures but maybe a wild animal, something smallish, fox, badger, muntjac!? Also to me the dark trees behind the figure could suggest something sinister. Good luck.
I think all I would do is concentrate more on the figure, which by the way I suspect is a little too centrally placed; I would attempt to indicate some sort of expression, preferably less than an ecstatic one if you're seeking to avoid twee - and I'd also enhance those poles (for runner beans?) a bit, just to provide a counter to the figure and making it less marooned in the picture.