The Lane Leading to Moreton - Early March.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Thought I'd start adding a few of my plein air WIP's. This is the first stage, basic blocking in. A bit of a dull day so not a great photo, but I hope it's of interest to a few of you. Unusually, I started on a white ground, rather than my normal toned one, it seems to be working fine. As always, I leave the sky until much later. Oil on board, 16 x 20in.
Glad you started this thread Alan, interesting for those of us who want to learn more about the beginnings and setting out of oil painting. A blank canvas is always daunting.
Pleased to see you have started this Alan. Whilst I don’t paint in oils, I will be watching as you progresses, there are always tips that are transferable to other mediums. And you never know I might one day pick up some oils, despite my opinion of the difficulty and mess of using them.
Interesting theme Alan. There doesn’t seem to be much WIP lately. Did you gesso your board first?
Well I’m pleased to see a few of you interested, I’ll obviously keep going with this one (I was rained off), so will be returning tomorrow hopefully! Yes I did Tessa, it’s a W&N Artist’s quality board, but as always, I gave it another coat of quality gesso. The paint seems to work better for me somehow when Its had this extra coat - something I also needed! It’s still damn chilly out there.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Is there a particular reason you chose to not add a tinted surface on this occasion? 
Just for a change I suppose Tessa, and I hadn’t got one ready! For more comprehensive studio work, I always prefer a neutral tinted ground to start off with. The reasons for this I’m sure you’re very familiar with, so I won’t go over them again.
I recognise that reason Alan! I usually prepare a batch of boards together and occasionally run out, so have used white. Sometimes it seems almost liberating to do so!
Will watch with interest .
Looking good Al. I didn’t know there was a WIP forum. It’s interesting to see how you start your landscapes, which bits you block in first and also your comment about leaving the sky until last. Any particular reason for that decision? Now I know this forum is here I will keep an eye on your progress. I was about to post something I started yesterday in class.