Study in white in oils

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Started this yesterday in class, a study of white objects using neutrals and tones rather than local colour. I’ve done something like this before, a while back and it’s a good exercise to do, I should do it more often. I think I’ve done one with just black objects as well. 
Really interesting exercise Fiona. We have done similar in class and it’s quite a challenge. Looks good so far.
Did you find your ability to mix a larger range of neutrals was enhanced by this exercise Tessa? I’m always amazed at how many shades and tones you can get from so few mixes of two local colours, then adding various amounts of white, you can come up with. I’ve done a few of these exercises and quite enjoy them. Same goes for mixing blacks. It needs a fair bit of tidying up! Thanks Tessa 
I think so Fiona. It does make you think doesn’t it! I haven’t tried it with black, I imagine that would be extra challenging. What colours did you use?
For the blacks? My favourite mix is ultra marine and Indian yellow. Viridian and alizarin crimson (with differing amounts of white that’s the make up of most of the greys above). Red oxide and ultramarine make a fair black too, or swap the red oxide for Persian red.
Interesting selection. Actually I meant in the white painting above. You have some lovely different tints.