Starting an oil painting for the first time.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 10 of 10
One of the reasons that I only use watercolour is that my wife is bit of a clean freak. I daren’t use anything that will make too much mess. I’m fine with that, but would love to try acrylics. I’m currently looking at a shed for the garden as an art room - maybe, I’d give oils a go too. Hopefully, I’d be allowed to make a mess.
Paul, you must follow your heart and get some acrylics and oils, you don't know what you're missing, you don't want to regret it in years to come when you think back and regret not giving it a go. Get a big garden shed.

Edited
by Denise Cat

Thanks Denise. I’ll talk to my Barnier and see how it goes.
Oils don’t necessarily have to be messy, but they can be of course, so you do really need a separate room to work in if possible... Which I appreciated isn’t always possible! I’ve got a separate room as my studio fortunately, it has two large H-frame easels in it plus worktops, tables etc, and every square foot is covered with materials of some description. I would probably be categorised as messy, I tend to work fairly fast and have several paintings on the go, and stuff does get splashed around the walls and so on - I like it that way... I can’t imagine having to tidy everything up after a painting session, I like everything left out and ready to go!  Sheds can be pretty hot in summer, and freezing cold in winter, but that could be all part of the fun or challenge! Definitely give oils or acrylics a go at some time Paul, our most enthusiastic painter on here at the moment, Denise has, and we’ve all seen her rapid progress first hand.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Alan, I enjoyed the 2nd article in the magazine today, very useful, I'll be trying your demonstration sometime this week.
Thank you Denise, glad you enjoyed reading it. I know how enthusiastic you are!
Showing page 10 of 10