Staithes WIP

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
This is a 60x30 cm canvas, so quite small in terms of whats on it. I am in two minds as to whether to add individual rooftiles & bricks.. Once I start them I'd have to do it on every building. I've painted scenes from Staithes a number of times, but the buildings have been bigger, so have included tiles /bricks in those. Not being a patient fine brush/tiny detail person I'm reluctant to 'go there' with this one!
A great start, I love your perspective of looking over the rooftops, I would  happily leave those roofs without tiles, but whatever you decide, its great!! Being born in the North East, we used to visit Staithe's when i was young.I have a watercolour of Staithe's that I painted in the 1990s its one of my husbands favourite's and lives in the dining room lol.
I like this as is , personally I think the roof tiles would make it to fussy, however as the artist it’s your call and it matters not what I or other think.
I’ve painted this much-loved and popular location for artists on more than one occasion, but almost certainly not as accurately as this splendid example, and in a vastly different style. No, I wouldn’t go any further, it will end up being overworked in my opinion, and as I recall, many of these quaint houses are rendered anyway.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Phew.. I'm glad you all said that! 😅 Much as I like detailed work, I thought that I might get cheesed off with it if I started too much detail. I'm putting it to one side for the moment, (all those windows have been doing my head in), and moving on to some glass bottles
Beautiful! I love the palette you've used, and I, as everyone else, don't think you need any more detail here (rich coming from me!)
This has a lovely look and feel to it Helen. I also don’t think you need any more detail and as you say It’s all or nothing. Less is better, and you already have some skylights to break up the roofs. It’s super as it is, but of course the final decision and stroke of the brush is yours. That’s what makes painting individual and exciting as we wouldn’t all do the same thing from any one point.
Agree with what everyone else has said.  Roof tiles and brickwork would be a distraction. 

Edited
by Jim Ross

Totally agree with what has been Helen, any more detail would risk it looking overworked and in my opinion it looks great already.
I'd love to come in and post the controversial opinion that they're all wrong, but I can't, because they're all right - if you were to keep adding detail upon detail, you'd end up with something looking like Toytown, and that would ruin this very good painting. 
It's been a while.... (9 months!), since I worked on this, but I've finally got around to what I am now calling 'completed'.  It went a bit wrong mid-way, changed colour several times, I didn't like it, but husband loved it (the wrongness included!), so this is how I will leave it!

Edited
by Helen Martell