'Spooky' Staircase

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
In his topic 'Buttermarket St', Bari Marsh included a sketch of a left-handed spiral staircase.  https://www.painters-online.co.uk/forum/work-in-progress/buttermarket-st/ I offered one of my photos, taken in the ruins of Carew Castle, Pembrokeshire, for Bari to have a go at. He did a nice series of sketches, but I can't find them now! Here's the photo.... I'd always intended to do something with it - in pencil probably.   There is some colour there but, being stone, it's barely noticeable. I decided to try painting it in monochrome watercolour, using mixes of (Jackson's) Indigo and Van Dyke Brown.  I chose those colours, rather than say U.M. Blue and Burnt Umber/Sienna as I felt it would be easier to keep the mix constant, without veering to either blue or brown.  So here goes.  It's on eighth Imperial (roughly A4) Bockingford 200lb Not). I started by laying outlines in pencil, having first cropped the right hand side.. I decided to lay a few weak washes of the lightest tones and building up, wet on dry. Sadly, I lost concentration, tripped on the steps, and started painting over areas I intended to leave white!! So I went in with some darker shades to form the main structure of the steps. I opted to split the image into areas and focus one at a time. Two flights of steps 'built'.  Spot the attempt to scrape paint where I meant to leave it white! I didn't let the paper dry enough, so my knife picked the surface. Grrr! I finished by blocking in the central area and adding a few more washes and pencil scratches overall to darken the shadows and add a bit of detail to the rest.  I think I added a few extra steps, but who's counting? A little touch of white acrylic used to mend the 'damaged' step.
This has worked so well.A sense of atmosphere decidedly spookey . The texture and colour of the stones is excellent.note to self Do Not Trip .
Excellent painting and good to see be different stages. You should put on the gallery.
Cracking job Colin. Your problems keeping white areas white, the story of my life,  you have captured the light perfectly 👍
Thanks folks. I will add it to the gallery later. Today is 'er indoors' birthday and I'm doing dinner. 🥺 EDIT: Now in the Gallery.

Edited
by Colin Berwick

This is great Colin, It was my daughters birthday also.