Something still doesn't look right.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I tried to make the vase look more in tune. The thing is, I can't put my finger on it but something is still out of whack. I think it is to do with the dish or vase. I haven't done a dish before so not sure if it's that. I keep looking at it trying to figure out what it is, so if you can see it, let me know. I am happy with the grapes. When I first did grapes a year ago, they looked like sprouts and if you looked at them on the sketching forum, they would be hard to forget, they are so funny. So I can see I'm coming on from the grapes. I'm definitely going to get more practice at dishes and tableware. Here is the one I posted on the gallery and the next one is when I have tried to fix it. Thanks.
It looks a lot better Denise although I like it before you have made the vase look a lot better. I think the dish is ok , but having  darkened the area in front of it it seems to make it look as if it’s up of the table and that there is a gap under it. Might be just me and how I’m looking at it . 
Paul’s right. You’ve corrected the vase, that’s now working, the base ( and slightly the top of the bowl) needs to be slightly curved downwards, just a touch. It’s hard to be objective when it’s your own work. Often you don’t see a detail because you are too close to the whole thing. It’s not unusual, I’ve often posted something in haste only to then see something I hadn’t noticed earlier. In one still life, a POL viewer said he couldn’t stop seeing a face in the bread I had painted. I then saw it too and had to laugh.

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

The vase is much better now! But… I think the composition is a bit side on and lacking any depth. A better angle would be looking down slightly, you’d see the curvature of the plate and an ellipse on the vase etc… all making for a more interesting viewpoint. The painting itself is well executed.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

We can stare at our paintings for hours, knowing something's wrong, but having no idea what.  Very often, others can spot the problem instantly, but now and then others are as baffled as we are, while still knowing something doesn't quite fit somewhere.  I think I'm struggling here as much as you are, but I believe there are two elements  here that are arguing with each other - the dish, and the vase, don't look as though they're sitting on the same picture plane - I think you could adjust the vase by making a semi-circle of the base rather than having it cut off by a black line, as it is.  But I suspect you felt the need to adjust it in the first place because it just doesn't seem to match up with the perspective of the dish or plate.   In short, you seem to be looking up to the plate, and slightly down on the vase - which Alan has basically said.  Did you have these objects in front of you: and if you did, you observe them both from the same position (i.e. your position in relation to them)?   The quite strong outlining is also not doing you many favours - use of the dark outline is of course a technique which many have employed, but another approach is to allow the colours of the different objects to establish their place against each other - you may not have been going for an entirely natural look, and there's nothing wrong with that; but you might want to draw more with the brush (or pastels) without relying on a drawn outline quite so much. Having said all of which, you're certainly coming on - I remember your grapes like sprouts... painting progress tends to go up one hill; then you reach a plateau, and stay there for a while; then the next hill, the next plateau, and so on.  Somewhere at the top is the goal we're all working towards -- it's got to be up there somewhere!
That's so much for your input Paul, Marjorie, Alan and Robert. I have learned much by what you have said. Robert, I started the drawing initially standing up at an easel but I have a wretched shoulder and continued with the drawing flat on the table sitting down. The drawing looked ok but obviously I couldn't see the mistakes until it was complete. I've never learned about perspective, I'm going to practice like mad now. I'm going to focus on perspective this year. Thanks all.
Perspective, cast shadows and reflections are three important technical aspects worth learning Denise, there’s plenty of info out there. None of these are difficult to master, but it can all seem to be a bit boring perhaps when you just want to get on and paint! But they’re all vital if you are to avoid any pitfalls on the technical side. You are doing extraordinarily well with your progress but it does take time - I still have issues after decades of painting! 
Thanks Alan, I'll focus on these.
Share this on https://artdesign.social/news-feed/ !