Portrait in progress

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, I've put about 4 hours into this already. Struggling to make the lights, lighter without washing out the colour. Any tips? Plus, got to get start on the hair, any tips on getting hair life-like. Thanks
It looks like a brilliant start to me, Zoe.  For the lights, I would use a mixture of white, raw sienna or yellow ochre and possibly a touch of vermillion or crimson.  For the hair I would experiment with various brushes and rubber paint shapers - a different texture might be interesting.  I doubt that there is much medium tone and the dark needs to be your darkest dark.  So the form needs to be described by the highlights.  There is often a blue tinge to the highlights on black hair.  If he is wearing clothes, then I would try to pick up a touch of this colour in his hair to create balance in the picture.  However, I am not an expert and you may learn from the artists who have recently posted portraits of Oti Mabuse in the gallery.