New York at Dawn

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Just in case anyone has been wondering why I have been so quiet lately,  firstly there has been sorting out my photos on my new computer.  This resulted in me deleting over 22k duplicate photos.  Quite time consuming.  Then there has been preparing the kitchen for a different shape fridge freezer.  So I have been living in a fair state of chaos.  And then I decided to recycle an old canvas and paint a view of New York, coming into harbour at Dawn.  I rarely see Dawn, so it was a big event for me. I started by turning the canvas upside down, so what was the sea, became the clouds and the blue sky, became the sea.
I used some different colour carbon paper to trace out where some of the lights would be and the actual sky line.  It is quite a big painting 50cm x70 cm, but it is coming on quite quickly now. 
Looking so good Linda quite a big project. Hope you have got everything sorted out now. 
Thank you Paul.  I still have some work to do on the lights and I am a bit unsure about the clouds.  Still waiting for a new fridge freezer though.  Life will not be sorted until that arrives.
You sound very busy Linda. Your New York skyline is looking good. My granddaughter visited when she was 4. She wants to live there. She is 6 next week and still talks about living in New York when she is big.
Dramatic stuff Linda, looking really good!
Thanks Denise and Alan. This was my response to my art groups’s challenge of using complementary colours and having looked through my collection of 28k photos recently this was one of the few that met the criteria.  I can’t say that I like red and green together apart from red flowers, so blue and orange together with yellow and purple it had to be.  No art today though as I have in-laws with children arriving tomorrow.  Better clear away all the poisonous paints!
Is it finished?
Eye catching Linda and the orange looks wonderful. Good job. I hope things are not as hectic for you.
Powerful and well painted piece Linda, these night scenes are never easy to achieve with any conviction!
Many thanks Alan and Denise.  I think it was beginners luck with this, as I never painted anything similar.  It is certainly better than the whale’s tail that was there previously.  It is up on the wall now, so it must be finished.
Having thought that it was finished, I now realise that it needs varnishing.  On the wall the reflections are picking up irregularities in the surface.  The difficulty is that I I used sharpies for the horizon details and some of the lights.  I think the Sharpies are alcohol based, so should a standard acrylic varnish dissolve it?  If so what could I varnish it with?
Showing page 1 of 2