Lola Daughters Pup, Can't decide on colour background and how do you paint better short hair

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
For my taste, less is more unless you want a photographic painting. Just a few we’ll placed hairs can work well. As for background, I struggle with that too. I would put some shadow under the dog to ground it so it isn’t floating and maybe just a hint of neutral background. I’m no expert so I am sure you will get more advice.
Agree with Katy - just put some shadow under the dog, and really any colour, applied as a background wash, would do - but keep it light, so the dog stands out; maybe a wash of yellow, or very light green?   As for short hair, just the occasional flick will do it - a bit of dark here, a bit of light there.  Is this gouache, by the way?  
Thanks Katey and Robert for that advice I will proceed and try the shadows and light background. Appreciate the advice 
I also agree with the shadow and a greenish tint would really make three coat pop.  The secret of short haired animals is developing a sheen on the shiny coat.
Thanks Linda