Grisaille method

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
We do make life difficult for ourselves! 😆
Too right Marjorie!  But I wouldn’t do it if it was easy.
Looking lovely Linda, I think portraits are very difficult even for those with experience of them, this is looking wonderful. 
I had a go at this myself yesterday - not in paint, but drawing it, from your painting: I had just the same trouble you've having, although in mine, it looked as if she was being strangled by a baby's leg .... I couldn't get the relationship between the hand and cheek right, without substantially altering the shape of the face in direct contact with the hand.   And then, not being the sort to persevere in adversity, I just gave up!   Is the problem here not so much that you're using different photographs but that you're trying to meld two into one, rather taking what you need from both of them?  I couldn't make the hand look as if it belonged to the body, basically - it just looked alien. One of the photos you show above illustrates your problem very well - you've followed the lines offered, but crucial detail (shape) isn't offered at all, it's hidden in shadow; what you need is a model - instead of covering your husband in paint, get him to sit for you: better than nothing, you could tell him! PS: I've had another look at my own attempt to play with your picture - and I think I've discovered at least one reason why the arm and hand don't work: the angle of the arm in relation to the hand is wrong - it needs to be a stronger diagonal: take it further to the left of the painting (the right of the figure) and I bet it'd look better. 

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

That is very noble of you Robert.  I have been experimenting too with photos of me,  with little conclusion other than my 72 years are showing!  I couldn’t get the light or the angle right together, despite trying it. From both sides and reversing the image.  Perhaps she needs a cuff to chop some of the arm off and put the shoulder more into shade.  But here is me in the sun shine.
I’ve called time on this project, and posted it in the gallery.  Thank you all so much for your words of advice and encouragement.  Extra eyes are always helpful and without your support, I would probably have given up.
I've just seen it on the gallery. What a difference now from when you started. All that angst and problem solving paid off.
Yes Marjorie, drastically different!  I was dreaming of it in the end, so it is definitely time to stop, not to mention the call of the garden and the 0other painting projects that I have on the go (Lions and a giraffe as well as a spring project.)
Well done, Linda.   This was a VERY difficult job, and you've got a good result.  I often dream about paintings in progress, by the way ..... don't think it's bad, just means you've been concentrating; and maybe, VERY occasionally, the dream will help you resolve a problem.  I suspect that's extremely rare, though.   Much encouraged by the way you've worked through this and really tried to solve the huge problems this composition gave you; all I did was try drawing it, and suddenly I had all of your problems dumped upon my frail shoulders - our hero backed away!  
I'd be interested to see your version, Robert.  I thought about trying one of JC (Not Jesus Christ), but I had promised myself to do one of Michael Foot (local boy).  I did look up images of him though.  Just think yourself lucky that he has lines on his face so you can draw the road map.  Viveca had flawless skin which needed loads of blending, which I do with my fingers.  In my view a wonky nose is a blessing; a distinguishing feature is a shortcut to a likeness.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
Showing page 3 of 3