Father and Son

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
More grasses, Linda, as per the first photo should solve your problem. The painting is coming along just nicely and it's nearly there. I still think you could strengthen the shadows underneath the lions. There shouldn't be much in the way of aerial perspective, given the proximity of the lions to the screen of grass. I think the first image shows a blurred background rather than aerial perspective. It's a photo thing. You could duplicate the effect, of course, if you wanted. Get your rigger out again, use very thin paint and go berserk. *smile* Just my two cents worth. Bri
Brian J Mackay on 07/12/2019 10:32:11Many thanks for your comments and advice Brian.  I do appreciate it.  Another pair of eyes is very helpful.  i still can't upload my picture so I will try to post                  it in the gallery.
I have had another go at modifying this painting and I think made some improvement, but I’m still not happy with it.  Please let me know what changes you would like to make if it was yours.  Many thanks, Linda.
I remember commenting and making suggestions earlier Linda. I would look at considerably darkening the rear legs of the adult, likewise the foliage in that region as well as some of the ground. I would probably use glazing for this. My style is different than yours, if I were to tackle a subject such as this one, which I won’t be doing, I would use looser and more rapid brush strokes which would hopefully indicate movement! However, it’s a good study as it stands, this is a tricky one!
I really like the cub and the foreground grass; and the colours and shadows are great.  Perhaps the front legs of the adult need a bit of attention? I think you would probably see some of the left front leg in shadow, and the right front paw should perhaps be in profile rather than facing the viewer? 
Wow Linda, I love this.
Thank you Alan for casting your experienced eye over my painting again.  I see what you mean about making him darker as well as the foliage.  At the moment there is too much distraction from the focus of the painting.  So I good deal of glazing is in order.   Emma, I will look again at dad’s front paw, in photo no 2 again.  They do turn them in as they pick up their paws, but I think the paw looks a bit vague.  I’ve got 5 out of 8 legs.  Not sure if there is room for more.   Cubs are a bit speckled, but I don’t think I can get that in.  More grass is needed, which should cover a multitude of sins. Thank you Denise - I like a challenge, but I did tire of this one last year.
Linda, when I first look at it my eye is drawn to the hind quarters and then out of the picture via the tail. I was wondering if you could soften the edges a little to draw the eye back to the head, which I assume is your focal point. That way, I think the gap in the grass would be more effective in framing it.
Thank you Ron.  I see what you mean about the tail leading out of the picture.  I think more grasses on the left might sort this, leaving just one main gap in the grass.
Showing page 2 of 2