Composition advice needed

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
My suggestion is get on your bike .go sit in front of the actual building draw what you see.... take your own reference pics and go feed the robin in another sketch...mind you I’d wait till it’s a tad warmer .
That’s a sound response Sylvia, just get out in front of your subject and draw or paint what’s in front of you, forget copying from Google and all that stuff. Emma may of course have drawn the priory from life, she’s got enough suggestions here to make up her own mind, and she’s a good enough artist to use her own judgment!
Yes Alan, this was a view i did myself on a visit last week, and it was cold!  I certainly have enough suggestions now, so thank you all for your thoughts and time, much appreciated. 
Hi Emma, I think if you want to improve the composition, one of the two trees should go. If you remove the right tree, then make more of the tree on the left, it and the lovely little lane would lead the eye into the picture and to the abbey, which you then would not need to move.

Edited
by Frank Bingley

Hi everyone, I’ve attached a sketch of Bolton Abbey, which I’m thinking might make a painting.  But I’m unsure about the placing of the abbey within the landscape; I don’t want it any larger, but should I leave it where it is, or move it down and to the right so it’s less central? Any thoughts appreciated.
Emma P on 10/02/2020 15:22:37
Hi Emma, this is quite a detailed sketch very nicely done,but if the abbey is to be your main key point  then the big tree on the left is a tad overpowering, also I would do away with the branches in the upper left corner , just leave it as sky.

Edited
by Maureen Rich

My eye was drawn straight to the Abbey and then moved over to the trees on the left, if that's what you're looking for then keep it as it is.  If you want people to travel down the road to the Abbey then it didn't work for me.  But I'm not a landscape painter, just my initial thoughts 
Showing page 2 of 2