Cefnllys landscape

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Instead of doing a full wash to start with I started at the top and am slowly working down the picture, thankfully there are some nice dividers in the picture to be able to manage it in sections, I’ve masked out for the sheep and cows in the left corner.  Watercolour on Saunders. 
I loathe masking fluid - somewhere or other on the site you might find the story of my ruined corduroy trousers - but at least you can SEE yours, because it's blue.  This is a very promising-looking watercolour - looking forward to seeing the finished work.  
Same here… it’s dreadful stuff and will ruin a good brush in seconds! Yes it’s a promising start, tricky with all those greens - the secret is your tonal values, good depth needed in the foreground areas and counterchange, otherwise it will or could look flat and boring! I’m not a big fan of working in small sections, it can look disjointed but your handling it well so far. I’m also not keen on the positioning of the sheep, but make sure they aren’t painted white!
I’ve finally had some time to complete the painting. Thanks for your comments & advice
My eye starts at the foreground and goes to the horizon so you’ve got some perspective there. To go on a bit further in your next painting, perhaps introduce some other colours  - complementaries eg pinks or reds in this case. Well done, though, Jan, it’s great to complete a painting!
You’ve divided it into sections, which have all gelled together well in this instance. It’s a tricky one with so many greens! A pleasing pastoral landscape nonetheless so well done. The tonal values are a bit similar throughout to be critical, you could afford to go very dark on the foreground trees and a few of the intermediate ones also - a more comprehensive range of greens would help, more Blueish in the distance perhaps! There’s some good colour examples available on mixing greens, the range of colour combinations is vast.
Share this on https://artdesign.social/news-feed/ !