Cat - watercolour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, I’m a beginner (started painting in September). I’m painting my sister’s cat. The first animal I’ve painted. Work in progress. Do you have any tips / feedback please? Many thanks
The most important thing is to observe, to look very carefully. Spend some time doing this before you start. I'm assuming you are working from a photo. If you can see the actual cat that's even better. You will find out that there are many colours , depending on the light. When you first start out you tend to " assume" things, you draw or paint what you think is there without really thinking about it much, eg. a black and white cat is black and white...or if something is lighter, add white. I know I did this to some extent when I started out, many years ago. You've got a good shape here , you certainly need to add more paint and introduce some tones and light. Look at how other artists have depicted black fur, there will be other colours you can use. Finally, your canvas looks a bit coarse for the size of the image. Perhaps invest in a larger canvas next time, medium or fine grain. It will make a difference. Good luck! Just another thought about the size of the canvas, next time.....give yourself some more room around the subject , it'll make things easier, you won't feel constricted. Two cats below are not on canvas ( pastel) but you'll get the idea of using other colours in the black fur.

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Hi Marjorie, thanks so much for your extensive advice and feedback - really useful and very much appreciated. Best wishes  Belinda 
Ps your artwork of the cats is lovely and gives me a really good idea re tone and colours for “black” fur
Hello Belinda, I agree with everything Marjorie has said above. (And beautiful cats Marjorie!). My only addition would to try not to use actual black in your painting. I've painted many black cats and dogs and like Marjorie says - so many colours are reflected from things arounds them. Here's a few I've done 
Thankyou Helen, very useful advice. You and Majorie have really helped to give me food a definite direction going forward. Your paintings are lovely too. Best wishes, Belinda 
An update on my current painting, still work in progress.
Hi, I am an amateur like yourself, so, can't really give advice but I must say, I think your cat is coming along nicely.
Hi, Thankyou very much for your encouraging comment , I really appreciate it 
Hi, Thankyou very much for your encouraging comment , I really appreciate it.
That's coming on well, Belinda. The eyes are bringing it to life. I hadn' t spotted that you said it was watercolour - are you using a canvas?
Thanks Marjorie. Yes watercolour and I’m using canvas - I primed it with 2 coats of watercolour ground the day before I started to paint.