Another car painting - Stirling Moss

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I was priviliged to see Stirling Moss at the Bicester Heritage Centre a few years ago, being driven around the track in a Jaguar he used to race.  Thought it would make a good painting.  This is acrylic WIP at A3 size on paper.  Unfortunately I am having great difficulty getting a recognisable likeness at the small size and the paint thickness is beginning to build upso it may not be a great example in the end!
for getting the likeness, perhaps you could  use a magnifying glass.  I like the green of the car.  From the way the light is falling on the building on the right, I would assume the sun is on the left, so I would expect to see shadows on the right of the tents and under the car to the rightish, but the tarmac looks a bit dark so if you lightened it up a bit then the shadow of the car would be more pronounced.  Hope this helps.
Hi Linda Thanks very much for the idea about a magnifying glass, hadn't thought of that, although getting a likeness of a face is still something I will struggle with.  Yes I'll be putting in a bit more detail such as shadows asap.
It's a hell of a job getting a likeness even at full-size unless this is something you specialize in - at the size you're attempting, you may have bitten off more than you can chew.  If you can find one stand-out feature, go for it and exaggerate it: aim for a cartoon approach and then refine it.  And the best of Sterling luck.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Thanks Robert.  I am definitely no good at getting a face likeness.  Tried including my wife in a couple of paintings - disaster, won't try that again!  I think a bit of practice at Sterling Moss's face is called for before touching the painting again.
Update.  Took on board Linda's comments and a bit more detail included but haven't tackled Stirling's face again yet. Having some difficulty posting image though! Trying now with the face - and I'll see if an image can now be uploaded.

Edited
by Steve Andrews

Update and image of the painting.  Some work done on the car, shadows, road and of course Stirling's face (bit more work required methinks).

Edited
by Steve Andrews

Spent a bit more time on the painting and here is the result.  Many times I have been over Stirling's face trying to get a better likeness but part of the problem is that in the original photo he is much lower in the car and the quality of the photo isn't very good - so cannot do a direct copy and have had to rely on other images of him I found.  I think it looks a bit like him!
Image now posted on the main gallery.  Not a great likeness and perhaps one day I'll have another go.

Edited
by Steve Andrews