Advice on body proportions

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
If you take a picture of you neighbours son, the you can check .
Might need to delete that, suspect the file's a bit disruptively big; and anyway, we might not want pictures of Nazi seamen on the page - though just because they had to wear the swastika doesn't make them Nazis, of course.  Anyway - if it's of any use, take from it what you can; and there are other images on the web.   I'll probably delete it later!
Thanks Robert - his hat is so much smaller than my chaps!
I've made progress on the body proportions and am much happier with it now! Still loads to do but getting there
Great painting, Helen.  Look forward to the finish.   I think you have it fixed in your mind that his hat's too big.  From the photo it looks spot on to me. A line dropped down from the furthest edge of his hat (on the left as we look at it), is in line with the first stripe on his collar.  The depth of his hat from the highest point in line with his nose, is the same measurement as from his forehead (where the cap ends) to his chin.  These measurements are the same in your painting. 
That is really looking good, Helen. I don't know exactly what you've done( hat adjusted, trousers lengthened?) but everything seems to fit now. Bravo!
I've made his hat a little smaller on the right, and shaved a bit off the top.. lengthened his trousers, but also widened his stance and changed shoe positions (they had wide pants so made them a bit more obvious), and altered hands, and shape of sleeve (more of a sweatshirt hang than jacket hang).  I'm told the man was only 16/17 when the photo was taken, and was a POW at just 21. Just a boy really.
These uniforms developed throughout the war - not the least because cloth ran out.  If yours is an early picture, eg around 1940, it might well have been bigger.
Here he is, finally..
I've been looking at this post as it's been going along and I think you have done a super job of it. Well done.
Absolutely superb representation Helen, some lovely detail.
Showing page 2 of 3