16th century cottage

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Not sure if I have finished this yet. Something bugs me and I can't think what it might be,I know there's no features on the faces and the thatch might be to orange, any suggestions welcome.
So hard to advise anyone on watercolour, because they're easy to ruin entirely, whereas with opaque media you can cover it up.  But I think a little more modelling on the piggies and people, a bit more colour - because they fade a bit in comparison to the building.  Don't think the thatch is too orange - thatch varies in colour anyway.  
Thank you Robert, yes the people do need a bit, I didn’t know whether there needed to be some darks put in, ie shadows from the tree cast on the ground,  and on the roof.
Alan, you've established your light source as coming from the upper left of the painting, all your corresponding shadows must follow that route. So, darken the eves of the dormer style windows, and these would cast a shadow across the roof. The edge of the chimney is, or should be, in shadow, so that needs darkening. You’ve got light on it at present. Small amendments, but important to get right. Pull out a few more branches with your rigger, the main crown is a bit sparse. And yes, as Robert has mentioned, some more modelling on the figures. Any other shadows you include will always be helpful in establishing tonal structure etc, keep them strong and positive, not wishy washy half measures. Good start anyway, a few ideas for you to digest, which will undoubtedly improve things considerably.
Thanks Alan, shadows  on the dormers, obvious when you mention them. or lack of them in my case. Also a few more branches on the tree. These might be slightly harder to reproduce. Tanks again Alan