What mixing palette do you use?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hopefully i will remember where i have posted this to reply, i am still getting used to this new forum. I have been after one of those ceramic mixing dishes/plate with wells and large mixing areas for ages, Jackson's have one at about £30, but i cannot justify the price as yet. I find the ceramic flower mixing dish i already have isn't big enough . So my question is, What do you mix your paint on?

Edited
by Nerys B

I recently bought the Michael Willcox palette for use with watercolour - it's a large palette, not something you'd necessarily want to take out in the field, but it comports with Willcox's colour theory: so it's a melamine product, with a lid, with guidance printed into the melamine - i.e. arrows, pointing you to complementaries; you'd need to read his books to get the point of his method, but it's a nice, heavy, commodious palette even if you use it in ignorance. However, it is pricey: but should be a lifetime's purchase. I like it though, because it trains me to restrict my colour range, and it gives me plenty of room for mixes. A stalwart of this Forum, the late Syd Edward, very strongly recommended the Liz Deakin palette, which might be nearer your price-range (indeed, he could get quite sniffy if you used anything else!).  And that's a good option - Jackson's, Bromley's, Cass Art, all have them, as do many others. 
Thanks for your reply Robert.  I was actually thinking of a ceramic mixing palette. For some reason i love how the paint mixes on a ceramic palette. I find that plastic palettes seem to run into puddles that disappear into rivulets just when you need to dip your brush into it.
The Wilcox palette is melamine, so behaves more like ceramic - but I think it's probably quite a lot bigger than you need or want.  There are quite a few ceramic palettes available, and while I don't have a specific make in mind, I'd go for one with deep wells, well-differentiated so you don't get what I would call 'over-slop', and enough of them.   A further advantage of ceramic palettes is that they're kinder to your best sables than plastic ones, and I agree with you about those rivulets - very frustrating, when you're on a charge.   I think you've answered your own question, basically!  Have a browse of Jackson's website, or the Ken Bromley site - after all, Bromley specialized in watercolour.
Thanks Robert, i have seen aMeedan ceramic palette i want, similar to the one at Jackson's, but smaller, sadly not available at my fave Ken Bromley's site.  I agree they are easier on sable brushes for mixing watercolours.
This is very interesting about mixing palettes. For watercolour, I have a couple of really cheap plastic one's. I've not thought about mixing palettes. For the acrylics, don't laugh, I use a large plastic bread board, I put a few layers of wet tissue on it and then wrap it in cling film a few times, put the acrylics on and also mix on it. I think I am doing right but I can't really be sure. I guess I should get a couple of decent ones.
I 'm not laughing, what works, works. You certainly don't always need the  " brand" must have's.  Tupperware type containers work for acrylics, plus baking sheet and kitchen roll, even just saucers if you are quick. If something works, that's great. A while ago, some members shared ideas on how to suspend brushes after cleaning - they all worked for them at a fraction of the cost. Yours obvs works for you Denise. This all comes with experience , you begin to realise that you can work things out yourself. Sylvia, who is not posting much at the moment, is very wise in these matters. Anyway, Denise, you are on the "up", going from strength to strength, it 's great to see.
I use white ceramic egg holders, made to hold six eggs, but handy, and a nice size for mixing watercolours, at only 50p each I purchased four a few years ago, and still using the same one. 
I have one of those egg boxes mine was also 50p, now if they made a dozen egg box, that would be great.
Good to read that, Nerys. if I ever see a dozen holder I'll let you know, and where I bought it, as long as its inexpensive, some of these items are an incredible price. PP, the bread board idea is great. For oils I use a plastic cover 6x8, there about, from a clip frame and fits into my pochard box a treat. I made wooden pallets, February this year, but never used them.
I bought some 3.5. inch diameter ramekins from Amazon. They come in all depths and the ones I got were about 3/4 inch deep. Chinese rice bowls are also good. I use these most when painting a large watercolour. For normal use I find the 'Daisy' pattern ceramic dishes from SAA are quite adequate. I have two and a half of these. (The half was because one was broken when it arrived. The supplier didn't want the broken one back. I filed off the sharp edges and use it in 'emergencies'. I seem to manage plein air with the wells in my paint box, and can't fathom why I don't manage at home! :} John

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.