watercolour paint

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have been noticing that some of the pans in two of my palettes both expensive ones are now the easiest way is to say melting they are sticky to touch not seen this before can anyone here explain the reason, please  The paints are all in my studio/study in my garden where they always are  Any help appreciated 
Watercolour pans vary from maker to maker, and often colour to colour.  Cadmiums especially, and Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber can get a bit sticky.  I imagine the technical reason for it is just the way the paint is made, with more glycerine for some than others in order to disperse the pigment.  Questions for you would include: have you changed the brand recently?  If so, from what to what?  Does the temperature of your studio fluctuate a lot?  When you say "melting", are they just sticky, or actually evaporating?  Have you noticed any difference in the way the paint behaves when you add water, particularly any deterioration?  Because while I don't think it matters if the paint is still perfectly usable, it obviously does if it's actually deteriorating.   As this looks like a new phenomenon for you, ask yourself what, if any, changes you've made recently - if it's not something you're doing, it might be manufacturing changes - e.g. one well-known paint company has, I understand, switched production from France to the Far East.  This shouldn't mean there's anything actually wrong with the paint, but - it might!

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

The particular set is the Van Gogh 15 half pans set and another set which is full pans from differing sellers but are all at least grade 3. The lower priced German set i bought when i first started so they are at least 4 years old no problems  Sadly too many good paint suppliers are moving to cheaper cost price bigger profits  Far East suppliers  I personally don't mind paying a bit extra for quality paints even though i probably don't need them as i am not trying to win competitions if that sounds right  Oh! the sticky paints well it's just like i  get when i use tubes and no it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect  So many  thanks for your response   
Well after a check of things it would appear like most things today most of the paints  are produced in the Far East and the stuff i use is the cheap end of the market not as i said expensive so that answers my question 
Found this whilst lookingOur Top Picks Best Overall: M.Graham Watercolor Tubes at Amazon "The colors are intense, bright, and saturated." Best Classic: Winsor & Newton Water Colour Box at Amazon "One of the oldest watercolor brands and also one of the most popular." Best Color Variety: Daniel Smith Watercolor Tubes at Amazon "Top-quality watercolor paints with a range of more than 200 colors." Best for Blending: Sennelier Watercolor Metal Box at Amazon "Easier to mix with water, allowing for smooth, broad brushstrokes." Best for Beginners: Daler Rowney Watercolor Tubes at Amazon "Easy to blend and bind well with watercolor papers." Best for Professionals: Schmincke Horadam Metal Paint Set at Amazon "Stocked with 12 professional-grade colors that are deeply pigmented." Best for Kids: Prang Watercolor Paint Set at Amazon "The starter box comes with eight bold colors that are washable." Best Portable: Sakura Pocket Field Sketch Box at Amazon "This kit can fit into a jacket or sweatshirt pocket, purse, or small bag." Best Overall: M.Graham Watercolor Tubes
Think that diagnoses the issue, yes...  Paints made in the Far East do tend to be rather more prone to this, but on the other hand - the Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese in particular have been making watercolours for centuries now; sometimes lightfastness can be an issue, especially with the crimsons: but I rather like them on the whole, for the depth of colour and vibrancy.  Winsor and Newton colours still seem to be fine in watercolour; not so happy about their oils.  Daler-Rowney still a good, solid brand.  Daniel Smith - well; they're good if you don't fall for the temptation to buy too many of them - the range is huge, and arguably TOO huge.  I've never used M. Graham, or Schminke-Horadam: on the list to try!
Actually, Winsor and Newton who are French owned have all their  paints made in China and i must say none of my 2 palettes of theirs has altered consistency  As a matter of fact, i have to much stuff but that's because i didn't te any courses before starting to paint watercolour pans and tubes, acrylic, oil, water mixable oil charcoal, 5 different types of pencils enough paper to last my lifetime and don't mention brushes  easily a hundred assorted books around 20 DVDs and had i read up on it i would have a few brushes around 10 paints but its been a fascinating journey making many friends on the way sadly unable to see them at the art group due to this damn Flu going around 
Hello there, I used Daler Rowney Artists' Quality Watercolour Paints for some time but found that if I went plein air very often the colours would become very unruly and 'met up' with each other. Too syrupy. I went on to Winsor & Newton but found that softening each colour slightly with a stiff brush before going out did the trick in getting prepared, but this led to the paints drying out over time (a painting friend advised that this had probably caused the Gum Arabic to disappear !) Now I use Schmincke Horadam Watercolour Tubes exclusively and find no problem with colours migrating or drying out.. Herr Flick