Help to mix a Copper colour.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I’m in the process of doing a pencil sketch of an old man beating out a copper pan . The setting will be his workshop with him sat on a stool holding the pan and hammering it into shape. Whilst doing the initial sketch, I thought it would make a good watercolour. My problem would be is how to achieve a realistic copper colour  using watercolour paint. What are the base colours etc that will provide a passable colour . I intend to three pot in the scene. Any advice would be very welcome thank you in advance
I would start with burnt sienna or red oxide and experiment with it.  You will need other colours for the reflections, highlights and shadows, white and perhaps Payne’s grey for a start.
I’m not really a watercolour painter, but if I was mixing copper colour in oils I would work around Burnt Sienna with perhaps a little Cadmium Red. For lighter tones I would try adding  bit of Cadmium yellow or Orange.  I don’t know if this would work in watercolour though.
Thanks Linda, I’m on the same track as you but thought I’d as others before delving in. Alan I’m sure your colours would work in watercolour , I shall experiment and feedback . I’ve probably mixed near to a copper colour before without thinking about it , it was when faced with a copper coloured pan that I though oh and started to doubt my idea of the mix. Thank you both it going to be fun trying out the mixes.
Hi, If you want to go a little different, you could try Schminke Aqua bronze. It's a metal pigment powder which you just add a little water to so it becomes like a watercolour paint. Very easy to use and it's probably as close to bronze as you will get ☺️. 
Agree with Burnt Sienna - copper contains a good deal of yellow, though (it's basically an orange) so a touch of Raw Sienna would help, with darker colours for the shadows (eg violet, or Ultramarine - not black or Payne's Grey).  You might also have a play with Venetian Red - can be alarmingly powerful, if it's properly made, and viridian if there's verdigris; a touch of viridian is often very useful for darkening Burnt Sienna, and produces interesting mixes with Venetian Red.  I think I'd tend to stick to transparent colours, though - and Venetian Red is normally opaque. Still - have a bit of fun with a scrap of paper and various mixes for an hour or two - try a bit of crimson in one of the mixes as well: more than half the fun of painting is just sitting down and playing with mixes, because there's no pressure to achieve a result.
Thank you both for your advice, I agree that to sit down an mix paints is  quite rewarding  and a good learning session. I’m looking forwards to experimenting.