Tips, advice and recommendations needed

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Does anyone have any tips they have found when photographing artwork? The subject was covered in The Artist some time ago, but never really resolved the issue for me of a greyness in the reproduction. While it is possible to brighten images with photo manipulating software, this often results in over exposing the lighter tones as a trade-off. Scanning can also result in harsh tones.
Frank Bingley on 31/05/2019 06:46:47
Hi, I have just joined POL Community, and am particularly interested in this question, as I am about to go down the line of photographing/printing my artwork. I have been using my phone camera just to send images to friends and family, but I know that I will need something better to start trying to sell my work. I would really appreciate any pointers you can all give me, many thanks. Oh one other thing, I am also about to invest in a good quality laptop (really struggling to decide between a high spec Windows laptop, or Mac Book Pro?), and printer, so I would really appreciate any tips to be aware of before making my purchases. Thanks in advance.

Edited
by Melanie Wilson

I would  buy a Mac Book Pro, expensive but very user friendly. Regarding Improving a scanned image, there are a number of automatic processes in Photoshop Elements which help enormously. There is always a trade off regarding hues and contrast but you will find there will be a huge difference by moving a few sliders in the software. Hope this will be of some help.
Melanie seems to have created two posts on the same subjects. I’ve given me reply on her first post, and yes, anything Apple Mac is superior to Windows, but they aren’t cheap!
I would  buy a Mac Book Pro, expensive but very user friendly. Regarding Improving a scanned image, there are a number of automatic processes in Photoshop Elements which help enormously. There is always a trade off regarding hues and contrast but you will find there will be a huge difference by moving a few sliders in the software. Hope this will be of some help.
Stephen Kelly on 20/02/2021 17:19:49 Yes, it does help, thank you! 
Melanie seems to have created two posts on the same subjects. I’ve given me reply on her first post, and yes, anything Apple Mac is superior to Windows, but they aren’t cheap!
Alan Bickley on 20/02/2021 18:02:11 Hi Alan, thanks for this. I am sorry for duplicating, I haven't quite got the hang of this yet. Thanks for your recommendation re the laptop, much appreciated.
That’s not a problem Melanie, and I inadvertently forgot to welcome you to the site... so welcome! Feel free to ask as many art related questions as you want, there will always be someone on here who can offer advice.
I bough a second hand Brook Pro - a lot cheaper than a new one.  I came with a guarantee too.
YOU came with a guarantee?  Linda - what, what on earth, can you have guaranteed?   Ignore this flippancy.   I've used a rather elderly Canon to photograph my pictures, which is one reason why I don't show more of them, because it's very hit and miss, and I won't adjust images in Photoshop because you can go much too far with that and give a misleading impression.  If there's some good advice on this subject - I believe I remember an article in The Artist - this might be a good time to share/re-print it.  
LOL - I meant "It," not "I".  But you must be used to my typo's now.  I'm afraid none of me is guaranteed - I'm well past my sell by date.  Photo shop is far too complicated for what you need.  My husband uses Lightroom for editing his photos.  I use "Photos", which was free with the laptop and with my i-pad.
Lol, do you mean a phone camera is under par and do I need a new system for taking pictures. I take a picture on my phone then just download as is. Should I do be doing anything else for quality purposes.
Denise, it depends why you are taking the pictures and how good a representation you need.  If it is to produce high quality prints or publication, then probably yes.  If it only for posting on here, then probably no.  Though you may have noticed how terribly drawings on white paper often appear on here.  Unless there is some kind of app applied, then the white will look grey.
That’s not a problem Melanie, and I inadvertently forgot to welcome you to the site... so welcome! Feel free to ask as many art related questions as you want, there will always be someone on here who can offer advice.
Alan Bickley on 21/02/2021 11:27:46 Many thanks Alan, much appreciated!