Scanning vs Photographing

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I lie mine on the floor in daylight . Stand over it with my I pad and take pic.  Consistently good results and an inbuilt edit programme .  Could also use a decent phone. Have you put anything on the gallery yet Norrette ? 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Thanks S. I have an android pad, so I'll try with that rather than the phone.
Hmm Gallery.  So far most of mine are copies (! :-) )  from step by step articles. and one from a photograph - which I'm not happy with.
Suggestion.  Put an apple on a plate and create. 
Weather permitting, I take a photo outside in a constant light, definitely not sunshine! If only we had sunshine! I put it on the ground, and stand over it. I’m still getting to grips with my latest camera, a Nikon DSLR which gives me large MB hi-res images for magazine reproduction.  I use Photoshop on my iMac for my post digital editing, Photoshop CS2 used to be a free download for Android, that has everything you will need.
Thanks Alan.  You can tell I have a science background (android for science;  IOS for arts) ;-)
Most paintings, on the floor, standing over them with a camera in daylight though not bright sunshine.  Sometimes, I even manage to leave my big toe out of the photo. Smaller drawings, on the scanner, usually.  Camera shake is a problem - usually resolved by taking several deep breaths beforehand: oddly enough, and I wouldn't recommend this, some of my best photographs of paintings were taken when I was slightly sozzled.
I-pads are wonderful at putting perspective distortions to right.  You can do it straight from your photo library, e.g. make the bottom or to wider, make the left or right longer, straighten the horizon - all in the crop mode.  It is so much more difficult in photoshop.  Getting white right is a bit harder, but not too difficult.  It recognises all whites as overexposed and greys them up.  So the first thing to do after taking the photo is increase the exposure and then increase contrast.  It would be really nice if someone could invent the equivalent of a washing powder for pix with lots of white.
Showing page 2 of 2