Perspective Question

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi,     I'm still getting to grip with perspective & how it works, so I've been trying to watch the world around me a bit to see if I can see those rules "in action".  I'm a bit confused by this though: This is a picture of a bookshelf & set of drawers in my bedroom.  I was thinking that the sides of those bits of furniture should have lines disappearing to roughly the same point, but if I fill them in, I get something like this: What's happening here?  Are there some other rules about perspective in pictures that I've failed to understand? Thanks, Simon
Distortion in the camera or a tilt in the floor.  Near the walls there is usually a spiked stick to attach the carpet to.  This will slightly tilt the furniture. The one in the corner is probably tilted in 2 directions.  Lenses in cameras will bend straight edges if they are not at the ideal distance from the camera.

Edited
by Linda Wilson

I'm no expert on this subject, but I will put this here to be debated,  As you can see I have reused your 1st photo.  I have added an Horizon line, very important as this dictate in which direction the lines run, anything below the horizon line will go up, and anything above will point down.  The horizon line is just another word for eye level.  for example if you took this picture lying down more of the objects will be above the horizon, like ways if you stood on the bed more of the objects would be below. The lines should meet up at a point in the distance, this is called the vanishing point. (VP) so my example the lines almost meet up, I think Linda is right when she said it tilts so this will be putting it out slightly. another example of vanishing points is drawing train tracks, draw a horizon line, an mark your VP where you want to draw to. when your trans meet up at the VP they vanish, then if you draw telegraph poles either side of the tracks using the same VP thither will get smaller until they vanish. Hope this helps  

Edited
by Alan Beresford

here is the train track idea drawn out.