How do I price some second-hand art pieces I have?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
So, I have a bunch of original paintings from a local artist here who is also a close relative. Had it for years and I'm trying to sell them but I'm not sure what's the closest I can get to a fair price? The main thing is the frame, because I heard these frames or at least 1 of them costed a lot of money. (in the 100s) I just don't want to try to list them for an outrageous price, that wouldn't get people to buy.
I think you would be better getting then valued by some one who can actually look at and touch the painting. I don’t think  the forum is the correct place for  painting valuations , you need a professional to assess them for you. Good luck with your sales.
Of course it’s impossible for anyone on here to give a value, I would suggest putting them into a provincial auction house, that’s once they’re open again! Paintings aren’t priority on most peoples list at present, unless the artist is well known and collectible. From my experience, frames don’t tend add a lot of value to a work, although these do look to be professionally framed.
If you think you can’t get  a reasonable price for them, because the frames are too expensive. Normally that’s the case, as a part time framer I can see the value in them. Why not put a new mount on the pictures, and keep the frames for your own art work.
Just in passing, because I fear I'm not going to buy them, I like most of these, the first and last as shown particularly.   As to their value - well, the frames may well have been expensive - they look as if they were well done - but you didn't pay for them, so I think you can cheerfully discount their value entirely in assigning a price; i.e. judge the package as a whole, rather than try to break down the original cost of producing it. I think if you let the top and bottom ones go for any less than £200 each, you'd be diddling yourself.  The others .... to be brutal, I'd take what I could get if I were selling them.  And if t'were me, I'd keep the better ones rather than try to sell them in the current depressed market.  Is the artist still alive and still working?  If so, you'd be doing them NO favours at all if you underpriced their work: what could be worse than seeing one of your early paintings, on which you'd lavished care and expensive framing, on sale for a knock-down price?  I'd seek you out and batter you with a couple of stretcher bars if it were me.