Using oil pastels

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Another post with an embedded link, it is art related but possibly advertising!
I've just added an introduction to oil pastels to the tips & techniques area if anyone's interested https://www.painters-online.co.uk/tips-techniques/oil-pastel/articles/an-introduction-to-oil-pastel-painting-techniques/ Working through various media to bring some hopefully useful guides to the site. Let us know what you think!
Post removed since it contained an embedded link.  The whole URL please, or nothing.  
Thanks to POL for posting these useful links.  Very interesting.
Very useful guides - my oil pastels are so old that I think I should invest in a new set: they are very useful for colour notes, because of their intensity, even though I wouldn't really choose them for anything other than sketches: largely because I'm not very good with them, but then - using an ancient set which belonged to an art student who was around 18 at the time, and is now a middle-aged mother of three, I might just not be giving myself the best chance with them......
Oil pastels are among the most versatile art media that you can buy. Even if you are a complete beginner, you can use the best oil pastels to make great-looking artwork. Oil pastels are less messy to use compared to oil pastels. They are also easier to blend compared to colored pencils and crayons.
Hello Mimi .  Your endorsement re oil pastels doesn’t make sense. Confusion reigns . 
I think she meant 'oil pastels are less messy to use than regular pastels' - which is true enough; the flying dust is my principal reason for not using them very often. 
Oil pastels are less messy to use compared to oil pastels. ??? 
Our posts crossed, but I think I hit upon the correct explanation!   And yes, they (real pastels - regular pastels) are very messy indeed.   So I assume that's what Mimi meant.  Though some of us can make a mess with anything.
Including me…..accepted .
We had a go at regular pastels at class last week.  No one was entirely happy with them. When I got home I dug out some *water soluble* oil pastels I'd bought last year. They blend much better than ordinary oil pastels. They were an incredibly cheap set by Talens, so I'm wondering if a better quality make is a worthwhile investment? I'm also wondering what is the difference between these and Inktense.  They tend to feel the same.
Showing page 2 of 3