Soft pastels - crisp edges: How?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
So, there you have it. no matter what I try and do, I have been unable to produce a nice clean edge between pastels. My edges always end up looking like a nasty bruise, so I'm open to suggestions about where to go from here.
I'm a cow with a musket with pastels, and I have just the same problem as you - but I have found that employing a bit of charcoal, or conté crayon, can help. Not carbon pencil though, because the pastel won't stick over it. How you get a crisp edge with the bright colours, though - not a clue! http://www.isleofwightlandscapes.net http://www.wightpaint.blogspot.co.uk
<div>I'm no help either Alan. I've just spent the day with my pastels and I am completely traumatised!</div>
When I remember in time I use a sheet of transparency film to rest my hand on when doing pastels, otherwise I smug it everywhere. But I can also use the edges of the film to to provide a barrier, when trying to produce a clean edge.
A physical barrier sounds workable; I'll give it a shot.
I use masking tape which is very helpful when pastelling in an horizon line and you can shape it for sharp lines on other bits. Otherwise a well sharpened pastel crayon does the trick. A gentle stroke over the line will merge the lines together a little bit. I do usually use tough paper with a strong tooth which holds the pastel that much better. Hope this helps Sarah B
It does, thank you, but it also raises a further question - if I mask the middle distance so I can put in the foreground, will the masking tape lift off much of the masked colour? If so, should I fix the middle distance before masking?
Thanks, Marjorie; those results look good.
You can use masking tape or brown packing tape.... make sure you adhere it to your pants to lessen the stickiness here is a pic of the technique...
I sometimes break a stick if i really need a crisp line. It gives you that knife edge for a bit.
If you sweep the pastel to and fro on to the paper, gradually approaching the boundary, you can control the application of the colour better and obtain a clean boundary. 
I use a piece of card for a straight edge Alan. Also, I use a large holed pencil sharpener to carve a pastel to a point for thin lines.
Showing page 1 of 2