Pastels query

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
This is my first posting as a new member to the forum - so hello to everybody. I'm currently trying out pastels (pencils and sticks) on paper, for my dog portraits. I've used fixative but find that the colour still rubs off on my fingers afterwards and would like to know whether I should use any kind of varnish when the drawings are finished. If so, could anybody recommend which type to use. Many thanks in advance.
Many years have passed since your publication. Have you found a suitable fixative?
12 years actually, and the chances of the author responding is remote at best!
Forget the fixative - use a decent pastel surface like Pastemat or a sand coated paper like U-Art.  These surfaces will keep the pastel in place - even poor quality pastels!
This is a much under-visited thread, isn't it?  Twelve years, though ..... Lawks.....  that's almost historic. Still interested in the advice, though - I have used fixative on the few pastels I've done; and on conté crayon and charcoal drawings, but I see completely where Linda's advice is coming from, because the colours were dulled: that's really what put me off pastel.