Overworked and 'unfinished'

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi - help please! can't decide if I should simply start again or try to rescue this pastel. I normally use Senellier pastel card with strong tooth so that I can indulge my preference for blending, but this is on Canson Mi-Teintes Touch, so not so happy with blending lots of layers. Really should have done an underpainting!
I tried Canson "Touch" just recently and love it. I would persevere with this but if you don't mind me saying, the figure is not tonally correct in relation to the light. The back of the head and most of the back of the figure should be much darker in tone. Then it would stand out more from the background. At the moment it's looking too flat - the stone post needs strengthening too. Try laying on the pastel without blending it all and it will "lift" the painting.
Hi Jen, I would try lifting out the the excess pastel with your putty rubber first. I've just bought some Mi-teints and am still getting to grips with it. You can use water or steam to fix pastels. But I would experiment on a bit a spare paper or the back, before doing anything drastic with alcohol. There are better things to do with alcohol! Best of luck Linda
Hi Linda and Marjorie - Generally use putty rubber and stiff brush on Sennelier card, but Sennellier does not like wetting ie for underpainting. Just wondered how Canson Mi Teints responds to underpainting and if I could maybe clean off pastel on her cardigan and, underpaint using alcohol ie; to fix the colour which is still retained, before re applying a deeper pink.
Job for tomorrow! Fingers crossed!
Just remembered another way of getting rid of excess pastel. Dry white bread.