What pencils...an answer

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
This is the first time I've looked at the forum but I think that I need to do it more often! Based on a review from the website www.bestcolouredpencils.com I tried some new pencils by Arteza, they are wax based and are great, the rich colours layer and blend well and they sharpen to a fine point for detail, they are also very robust ( they need to be with me!). A bonus is that the normal ones are slightly water soluble, however they also do water-soluble pencils which I love. (on the website the Arteza score 4.5/5, same as the FC Poly) I also like the FC Polychromos and Koh I Noor Polychrome and watercolour pencils but have to say that for the money and quality, the Arteza are the best value. Like Margaret I also use the Derwent blender pencil, and the burnisher pencil works great on eyes to produce a glassy finish. Carolyn Parkinson

Edited
by hOw327zRcf

Welcome, aboard Carolyn. Coloured pencils are a very rewarding medium, I have a splurge at using them, then o back to watercolour. I've use a few different brands, over the years, and like the Derwent brand, the burnishing pencil is a useful tool. it can also be used as a resist, handy for fine lines. Coloursoft is beautiful on a black surface and no doubt so will the other brands mentioned. Not a very good photo, sorry.

Edited
by carol

Thanks so much for your comment, hOw. Welcome to the forum :)

Edited
by carol

I see you have been successful with the change of name :)

Edited
by carol

I rang LP online and they did it for me!!
They're a brill lot :) Like your avatar, Carolyn.
I think I fancy a go with coloured pencils, as opposed to the watercolour pencils which I very much enjoy. Before I spring the cash for some polychromos, has anyone got any they no longer use? I'm not scrounging, but I am aware that from time to time we all try different things, some we like, some we don't - and I'd rather use someone else unloved stuff than uneccesarily buy new. Thats all David
Showing page 2 of 2