What do you think of my painting?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I don't show my work to many people and my family and friends always say they love it. I would love to hear what you think of my painting. I am quite new at painting but I have been drawing for a number of years with pen and pencil. This is a still life that I completed a couple of days ago when I was snowed in. In this landscape in oil paint I am aware that I painted the highlights on the right, except the cloud, where I put it on the left. I have been meaning to paint over that but I havn't got around to it yet.
They both look very competent , I especially like the still life . Yes the highlight on the right of the cottage roof looks a bit too obvious and bright. . Did you set up the still life to paint it ? And where is the landscape ? Its good to have info about a painting. Have you thought about putting them on the Gallery here , lots more people will see them and hopefully comment .
I saw the still life in the gallery and clicked on it but didn't comment. I thought it was competently done but not particularly exciting (still life's aren't really my thing and this has nothing to particularly separate it from the crowd) I quite like the background effect you have used. The landscape I would say the highlight on the clouds is a small matter, had you not pointed it out I may not have noticed such is the nature of clouds. I think it works ok, the tallest tree looks a bit strange in my opinion.
I like the landscape more than the still life. The highlight on the house ought to be a simple fix but there's no rush. In the still life, the apple is brightly lit and I suspect there would be some reflection of it from the table top. I'm nitpicking; I'd be happy with it if I'd produced it.
Just to add - I like both of your paintings, I agree with Daveyboyz about the shape of the taller tree, though that would be easily remedied - your still life reminds me of one of mine from .... oh dear... around 50 years ago: except that yours is better - the shape of the jug is particularly well shown, and you've used drawing and tone to achieve it. It's a bit dark, of course, but that too is easily remedied. Just keep doing what you're doing: I like that you're not afraid of the darks, the next step is to master the lights - always remembering to note the light source: that's what trips so many of us up when we're starting out.
Thank you for all your comments, they are very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to look at my paintings. I have decided to have another go at painting that landscape as my next project to see if I can improve upon that first attempt, and intend to start a thread in the WIP section to record my progress.