Trying engraving

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
 I have always admired the old engravers, and it was an engraving that got me into pen and ink drawings so when I saw this mini engraving pen on line I thought I'd give it a go.    I made a plate from a beer can Nice soft alloy, and did a quick sketch on it, before running over it with the engraving pen. Inked it up, placed damp watercolour paper on the plate and pressed it in my bench vice. All I can say is I think it has promise.
Given your proficiency with drawing buildings, it could be well worth your while to invest a bit of proper dosh in this - I quite agree with you, it DOES have promise, and could open a new door for your work.  That's a good-looking set of tools, but you need the extras too, to make full use of them.  
Have you heard of Tetra Pak printing Bari? You might find it interesting, plenty of demo’s on Google and YouTube. And like your aluminium can, it’s recycling.
Thanks Fiona I was at a show in France for the launch of Tetra pak many years ago. Will have a look into the YouTube printing. As a compulsive dabbler in my workshop Robert I'm never happier than when I build / adapt something to do the job..

Edited
by Bari Marsh

I’ve never taken to engraving, but you can achieve some interesting images. I don’t think my hand is steady enough! Like any printmaking, whatever method you’re using, you do really need an etching press to get the best results - that’s the one with an upper and lower rollers and cost around £1200 for an A4. But you can get second hand ones for half that! They give you a really good image with that indentation in the printing paper from the plate. I’ve got a small A4+ and an A3, which weighs in at around 65 kilos so that one doesn’t get moved around much. This is a combined Drypoint & Monotype - which I did a while back -  Misty Evening across The Broads. Obviously it took two passes through the press.
Nice one Alan it really catches the mood, I don't have the studio room for a press, but have a few ideas I can try out in my work shop, I have a few sizzix machines I might be able to convert. 

Edited
by Bari Marsh

Well I got a clean print using the sizzix machine as I only did a light sketch on the plate with the etching pen I am pleased with the result . Next stage is to do a more detailed deeper cut reverse drawing 

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.