Alva - Elf girls (adigitalpainting)

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
My last speedart painting, this was the painting that made me switch to acrylics when I get this good with canvas I'll be lost.
When you get that good with acrylics I think you will have put oils over the top of them. I have been watching some video's on youtube (Skip the first couple of minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwTdiX_UWc and an artist http://Dariacallie.com and this is how I would like to be able to paint and I don't think it can be done in acrylic. Oils just seem far better for smooth gradients and illuminated colours. IMO.

Edited
by Daveyboyz

Oil on silverleaf looks amazing thanks for those links! there must be a way to blend with acrylics as good as oil....... there has to be,
You can get stuff which slows the drying time, that may help significantly, I must try that actually.
Yeah I got a bottle of galeria fluid retarder it's just pffffff no better than water really. I wonder if it'd be okay to paint parts of paintings using watercolors and other areas with acrylics? actually can I mix acrylics with watercolords?
I think you can acrylic over watercolour (not the other way around) but acyrlics are so much stronger than watercolour it may look odd. You can use acrylics like watercolours if you mix with thinning medium (I have some of that, not sure I like it and it doesn't solve my problems regarding blending)
I already mentioned that and stated it doesn't solve the problem just one above reply above so that isn't really any answer is it Syd?
I have heard that blending in Acrylics can be achieved by using interactive acrylics that can be rewetted. But a cheaper was is tho mix up your required colours that you want to blend on a stay-wet palette. Alternatively you can use the old masters of building up layers of glazes.
I'm loving all the answers on here so glad I joined up now I'd be lost with out this help thank you so much everyone x
http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/masterclass-video-blending-acrylics I regularly receive these very short tutorials from W&N, and their latest was on blending acrylics. The medium used is their slow drying acrylic medium, which I don't think is the Galeria one mentioned above. It is quite a short video, could be useful. I would also endorse Syd's advice to read about acrylics, there's lots of good stuff about them, one book I've found particularly useful is Compendium of Acrylic Painting Techniques. Covers a lot of ground.
The little W&N video clip gives a gradation of tones (in earth colours), and isn't the way I work but just thought seeing it was fresh in my mind I'd add it to the discussion. You've reminded me that I keep forgetting about glazing, but building up in layers certainly worked for the old masters. As for books I have a veritable library of them, especially for painting abstracts. I'm of the generation where I tend to think books before youtube! (Although I've seen some very helpful youtube videos, and seeing something demonstrated complements reading about it). We have an excellent library system too so each time their new books email reaches me I look to see what art books they've purchased.
I shall look forward to it Syd when you get the time to paint it. And as I follow you there is no danger that it will get lost in the "churn".

Edited
by SandraKennedy