Using the Zorn palette for the first time

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 12 of 12
I do like crimson glow Marjorie.  The pinkness seems to portray innocence and youth.  I have tried the Zorn palette and thought it was quite successful, giving many different mixes.  However for my recent Indian chiefs, I used burnt Sienna, white and black to model the faces in a warm grisaille approach.  This gave a close approximation to the skin tone, bit I gave them an orange glaze with a bit of aliz here and there.
I think your skin tones worked very well, Linda. I think that a restricted palette ( eg Zorn)works  well with anything, it teaches you how to mix a colour and it brings harmony to a painting. But there are no hard and fast rules, you can add or substitute what you want - the restricted palette gives you a foundation. When I think of all the unnecessary colours I bought when I started out!!
Just catching up with this thread, after seeing the portraits posted in the gallery. Curiosity, got the better of  me, the Zorn pallet, only four colours, of which I have W&N oils lamp black, crimson red, orche yellow , Titanium white. I decided to explore. No reference photo, just a guess at a portrait. Ha ha, lovely experience with the mixing, the lamp black turned the eyes blue.   Ok I don't do portraits, but this is a good pallette for such ventures, I may explore a lot deeper.  Later..   your portrait are all fab. 
I have just read today a really good article on the Jacksons website (art suppliers), about the Zorn palette. It has colour charts and an explanation of why artists choose to use it. I am sure anyone interested in the Zorn way would find it helpful.
Showing page 12 of 12