Perspective in landscapes

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
So far I just have two tricks: 1. Layers. Not good. Looks like a series of cards laid on top of each other. 2. Canals, fences, roads etc receding to the vanishing point. Cliché, feels like a cop-out, and I can only really do it with reasonably straight lines. I've tried sketching a straight road then curving the painting around the sketch but so far that's not working. Of course, the major part of why these aren't looking good is my newbie skill level, but nevertheless they feel like I'm cheating. What other techniques are available for putting distance smoothly through a painting? (View from ground level-ish. I'm nowhere near attempting altitude yet.)
I think if you are able to put your picture on, the more experienced people will be able to guide you.
Without seeing your work it’s difficult to make any informed comment, but all those things are relatively simple to achieve. If you post your attempts, then we can sort them out and put you on the right track, fence posts and all! Generally speaking, to achieve distance (aerial perspective) in any composition you need to keep your tones and colours lighter on the horizon, darker at the foreground, the intermediate stages or middle distance somewhere in between. That’s the basic principles, but there can be exceptions. Colours in the distance often tend to be shades of blue, often muted, this is important. You could do with a few books on constructing a composition, one which includes perspective and other basics.