On the subject of the women I have painted.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am quite saddened that the female nudes I have worked hard to create have met with such negativity. Jim Morris upset me the most by telling me I ought to cut the bullshit. A few times now I have considered leaving this site. The women I paint come from a place in my creative mind which is positive and loving. My own mother is both overweight and large chested. Words like 'gross' in reference to my work actually angers me because those who have called my art that are calling overweight people gross. I dont really care what their argument is for this assumption . I do ask Jim Morris though to stop commenting on any of my work from this day.  I do not value his opinion nor do I value his work for that matter. I could go into that further and be just as cutting as him. But I wont. 
Welcome Michael. It’s good to see you on the forum.  I have seen your work over several years and have never been offended by it.  Some of it I find very sensitive and rather beautiful  so stay with it. There was a guy who posted  nudes ( I’ve not seen his work for quite a while ) His stuff I found both salacious , sexually overt and insulting to women.  I said so , and so did several other people . It should have been on the top shelf ,at the back of the newsagents... I certainly don’t feel like that about yours.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Michael I like your work too.  Yes some of your nudes may offend some people but art is always subjective.  There's plenty of famous nude portraits that some people have reacted badly too and always will.  I have a house full of nude paintings and I know at least one has caused offense to someone.  However, I think it is wonderful which is why I have it on my wall.   Keep painting and perhaps when you next post explain in your descriptor where you're coming from as you have here in the Forum.  I'd also always contact someone  separately if you have an issue (good or bad).  I've always found that  this helps.   Anyway, look forward to seeing more of your owk.
I have done life drawing for many years and exhibited my work.  The naked figure is never offensive or should not be.  In fact the paintings I referenced in my first comment were partially clothed and very offensive to women. 
Michael you should continue painting what you want to paint and enjoy what you do. I would also suggest that you continue to post your work , despite the negative comment made . No matter what subject we paint someone will not like it and that is fine and it their  choice . I don’t find your paintings offensive but then been a male it probably does not affect my sensitivity the same way as it possibly could a female. I’m  sure that if it was deemed offensive  you would have been prevented from displaying them before now due to complaints made to POL . Enjoy your painting and plod on regardless. 
Michael, be true to yourself. I’ve never found them offensive, in fact some of them are quite ethereal. I have a Russell Flint print hanging in my bedroom that I’ve had for more years than I care to remember....I love it.  I love your abstracts too, that you’ve recently posted on the gallery. 
Keep posting, Michael.  I doubt that Jim meant to offend, but some people are turned off by work which others can take in their stride.   And they can get quite intense about it - if I don't like a work, or don't understand it, I would generally not comment; as Sylvia says, we have had some people posting frankly lascivious work that was just all too reminiscent of girly magazines or page 3 of the Sun, but your work is nothing like that - and I have commented on it, as you know; perhaps not on your 'bare-breasted' pictures, now I come to think of it, since that is a bit beyond my range of artistic interest - but I've never found it offensive. 
Somehow the pandemic and the lockdown has made many people angry and this will vent itself in many different ways.  Fear and frustration cause intolerance and we have all had our fair share of both.  But one way to encourage tolerance is to show it.  I am not offended by the human naked form, but my husband does not get it.  He was offended by me bringing home sketches of naked men from my life drawing classes.  I was getting a bit bored by same old, same old too.  So I concentrated on portraiture instead.  Now we are both happy and it takes unnecessary tension out of the relationship.