Making an oil painting of my youngest daughter; a covid nurse.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I made a painting of my youngest daughter, an occupational therapist with the NHS, who was drafted onto a frontline Covid 19 ward at the height of the outbreak. At the time I was battling with Coronavirus myself (I edited out all the coughing!). It was a frightening and emotional time for us all. The painting is 100cm x 100cm oil on canvas and was made alla prima in 4 hours. The film of it's making is HERE and in the Community Videos section of this site. I hope you find it interesting, D.
Strong portrait David - the anguish you have in the eyes brought about by that little frown is a great piece of story telling
Great painting David and I thoroughly enjoyed your video
Fabulous painting David, very emotional
Excellent emotional painting David, and I do like the reflections on the screen/visor. Hope you are well recovered and your daughter is back on normal duties? You must be very proud of her.
You have portrayed a great sense of stress in those eyes, David.
Enjoyed the video David, straight to the point, no waffle. Excellent painting, too.
Thank you for the kind comments folks xx
Good work on the painting alone, haven't watched the video yet but having watched another of yours I know it'll be good, and I'm looking forward to doing so at the weekend.  Don't know about you, especially with the Covid, but I'm finding painting VERY hard work in this weather - paint goes on well, though!  Heat makes it a lot more manipulable. 

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

Just went to the BBC I-player, in the rather vain hope of finding anything worth watching as I had my dinner, and what crops up but Bob Ross!  WHAT?  Bob Ross on the BBC?  Was this a commercial link with which the BBC has no connection at all (in which case, that's one problem right there) or does the BBC think - using the word 'think' in its loosest possible connotation - that Bob Ross had the vaguest, slightest, most remote, connection with even a hint of best practice in oil painting?  Or even vaguely good practice......  He's soothing; you can listen to him before going to bed; but he was a God-awful painter!  What the Hell are they playing at in promoting his crude techniques ..... Ross meant well, no doubt; but he stole Wilhelm Alexander's techniques to make his TV shows and was a million (dammit a thousand million) miles away from Alexander's level of expertise.   I shall calm down.  No, I shall.  Really I shall.  But this does make me cross - I rejoice in Ross's enthusiasm, and his encouragement to people to have a go with oils: but he was SO bad at it himself .... so abysmally, shockingly, chronically bad, that his videos should be reserved for those who have trouble sleeping, not for those who want to learn how to paint.  HE never did - what makes anyone think he could teach them?   PS - I always feel bad about attacking the Bob - he was a kind man, a nice man, probably a MUCH nicer man than I am: I don't even resent him or his success on television, for which he worked his socks off; he admitted quite plainly that he was not a great painter: I know all that.  But his legacy is entirely dire - and that's the trouble.  I have taught painters in my time; whenever a Bob Ross devotee came my way, I had to un-learn them - tell them that you can't get the Ross technique unless you use his brand of thick, gloopy, filler-crammed, muddy and mucky paint, and you shouldn't want to.  For all those he encouraged to paint, he encouraged just as many to enter the total dead-end of his teaching methods: and once you enter that death-spiral, you just have to hope someone's going to rescue you from it.  In fairness, I think that wasn't his fault - he didn't pretend this was the only way, or the best way.  But the business took over - sales mattered; jobs depended on the method; Certified Ross Instructors sprang up, God save us, and put CRI after their names as though it was some equivalent to RA, ROI, and more.  But it ain't, is it?  You're salespeople for a poor method - stop pretending to be anything else, and stop waylaying learner painters in your dead-end methods. Here endeth the Lesson, and I'm sorry it was so brutal - but it was brutal because I care what people are taught; and now and then, I think we all have to stop pretending that a work is 'lovely', when it just plainly isn't. 
Well I can’t argue about anything said here of course, my feelings about BR as an artist are well known!  Surely these dreadful programmes can’t be coming to BBC, or can they? It wouldn’t surprise me one bit...
Well they have probably done the repeat , repeat, repeat, repeats, so they need to put some other rubbish on. What rubbish on the beeb , I hear you say, no no never, ok let put Bob Ross on then it’s good for a laugh. Sorry if I’ve been offensive, well I’m not really. You started this Robert, your to blame, sorry for ambushing your post Davis. I don’t do portrait, but the video is great to watch and a lot to learn from it., great portrait and video David.
Showing page 1 of 2