Help to identify artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all. I’m new here, hope you don’t mind me posting but I have a number of oil paintings hanging in my grandmother’s house which I would like to investigate. Is there anywhere I can go to ask for help in identifying an artist? I will post 2 pictures of signatures in case any of you guys recognise them!  One looks like H * AFON 1860 The other (painting of Venice) looks like F Henrink? Thanks all 😊
I think I have just found F Herink! F. Herink is a Belgian 19th Century painter! One down, few more to go!
Well you’ve identified the easy signature, the other won’t be easy so good luck sorting that one out! It always helps if we can see the whole painting, although the chances of someone on here recognising the artist is remote - but it does happen occasionally.
   Well, you'd have to guess at French, or that region and influence.  But I don't recognize the painter from the style - and if the date on it is right, i.e. 1860, the style, clothing, treatment, are much earlier, by at least eighty to a hundred years.  It's a bit of a puzzle. 
Just assuming that 1860 date might actually be1800 , it may be that the over the top Louis XIV everything gilded, ie-ormolu is the period paralleling our Regency. It's all too detailed to be made up, so this is a possible suggestion as to date.