Economically priced, and more to the point GOOD, oil paint

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I don't know if this will help people, because we who paint in oils will have tried all sorts of products and will have our favourites. But, over the last few years I've tried many, many brands that are new to the market; and over the last fifty years, I've probably tried all the standard brands you could get in this country: Daler Rowney; the old George Rowney range; Winsor and Newton, including Winton; D-R Georgian; Reeves. Spectrum etc. And the more recently available brands include Michael Harding, Jackson's own brands, Ken Bromley's oils, Rembrandt, Utrecht, Schminke. Haven't yet tried Gamblin, Vasari, Rublev - the high end US brands - but have also tried Michael Willcox School of Colour paints. Trends I dislike - the use of Safflower oil in grinding paint (so that's a worry for me so far as Winsor and Newton are concerned), the probably inevitable disappearance of lead white; use of words like 'permanent' when they're not; the continuing production of paints that makers know full well are fugitive, or otherwise dubious; the use of the words 'water soluble' rather than 'water miscible' oils; the assumption that you just MUST use solvents when painting; the misunderstanding of the term 'fat over lean'. So much of this is hogwash. I was asked a while ago, though, which brand I'd recommend which combined high quality with approachable price. I normally dodge questions like that with the agility of a mountain-goat. But ... here's a list of those I'd suggest to those whose budget is seriously limited but still want good paint. I like the Michael Willcox range, especially if you subscribe to his limited palette philosophy. To my slight surprise, I also like Ken Bromley's own brand oils - surprised because I'm really seriously impressed that they can produce such good paint at such low prices. And I really like Jackson's own paint, particularly perhaps their Titanium White artists' quality paint - genuine PW6, no addition of the problematic Zinc White, unlike so many other makers: a seriously very good paint. I can also recommend Rembrandt paints, though as always, watch out for additives, especially Zinc. On the whole - and I have absolutely no investment in any of these companies (often wish I had, but there we are) I am very impressed by Jackson's artist's quality paint, perhaps above all its competitors. Sensibly-sized tubes; affordable prices; good coverage. And you can of course use the more high-grade colours - go on: take a big gulp and get yourself a tube of Michael Harding's Cobalt Blue! - if you're saving money on good quality basics. So there we are. See what you think, and do let me know.
Like you Robert, I've tried the lot over the years, and have varying opinions of course, as you have. I'm not technically minded as to their manufacture and additives etc, but I know what paint works best for me. Yes of course I would always opt for Michael Harding, Rembrandt also, but there are some other good options out there at affordable prices. I am also impressed with Jacksons own make, you can't go far wrong with these, they've got it spot on. Another that I've been trying out is the Van Gogh range from Talens. They were used to paint the Loving Vincent film, that's why I tried them - an excellent cheap alternative, I can't fault them!

Edited
by alanbickley

That's the range 'down' from Rembrandt, I think, Alan? I've not tried those yet; but Royal Talens is always a good brand.
This odour thing - the oil has a smell; I really don't notice it much at all, but Linseed oil does have a slight whiff - on the whole, one I find quite pleasant: and it doesn't permeate even my limited accommodation. What really does smell is turpentine - and far, far worse, white spirit. I still use real turps, though not often, for cleaning paint from brushes before washing them under the tap. Can't be doing with the awful honk of white spirit any more. And I'm not a bit keen on low-odour thinners, because they're not even resinous, like turpentine, and so do nothing for the paint should they get into it; and they're no safer than the smelly versions: probably less so, because you take fewer precautions if your solvents don't actually smell toxic. The other thing that stinks is Liquin - I've had to stop using it, and now use stand oil or 'bodied oil' (which is Linseed) instead. But oil paint on its own shouldn't smell objectionably - the one colour that can is Prussian Blue, which I find has a rather metallic tang to it. Oil gets the blame for artists' common use of solvents and additives: discuss!
Hi Robert. I used to use winton but have changed to pebeo which are cheaper and just as good . At least I think so.