April 2021 Challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
This is a drawing I did some time ago as an illustration where the child who worked in the claypits saved his coins to resemble the chimney stacks in a wooden box. He had toiled every day to dig clay and his father gave him a wooden brick mold to save his pennies in so he could buy a kite and fly it over the Chiltern hills! I wrote "Children from the Claypits" last year a story about how the first Education Act came into place and when child labour was abolished in !800's. Here is William's brick mold with coins piled up to form the chimney stacks which resembles saving coins from his meager earnings!  I will try and draw some coins and bank-notes which may express coinage from our dollar system here in Australia! 
Started drawing some coins I found the children collected and left in a dish..... best to start with pencil and may try sienna pastel.....

Edited
by Angela Harrison

great painting Jenny. I had ago at the new decimal coins, |I will point out that I drew all coins the same size to make it easier.
Alan Beresford on 02/04/2021 15:35:51
Fabulous coins Alan, these different replicas certainly pave the way coins were transformed and excellent pen/ink work!
When I was researching coins from the 1800's I discovered this photo of this coin. May try a drawing in charcoal as have some sienna which may show the inscription? 
Found an English penny and some 10 pence coins along with cents so its a start and will see what  is next.....? 
Mine today is topical .
I remember the ten bob note Alan, couldn't think why they would want to change it to the 50p coin in 1972.
 Thought it might be easier than a pound note
The Warhol coins... Nice idea Jenny. Very effective 'montage'... I suppose we all know the name of the wildflower that is on the tails side of the three-penny bit? (Thruppnee-bit! Lol! ) I was going to paint a portrait of my son at six months old, as he was born in 1971 but I suppose that wouldn't have counted as '71-style'! John

Edited
by John Walker

Showing page 3 of 4