What should I do to get inspired to create art?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
How to Sew Leather on Heavy Duty Sewing Machine A good heavy duty sewing machine for leather can handle leathers of all thicknesses if the right needle and other necessary accessories are used. Using the right thread is also important. Experts recommend that you avoid using cotton thread because the tannins in the leather will erode your thread over time, which is pretty bad for your sewing. Your heavy-duty sewing machine doesn’t have to be the industrial type; your best heavy duty sewing machine could be the small to mid-range options that you can also use at home. Use the Right Machine Accessories To sew leather successfully on your heavy-duty sewing machine, you need to change the foot. You may want to try Teflon foot, also known as a non-sticky foot. The foot will allow your leather to glide through without sticking. You can also try a good heavy duty sewing machine with a roller foot because the rollers will control the movement of the leather underfoot as you sew. You can also try the walking foot, which is also referred to as even-feed foot. This foot has the feed dog that works with other feed dogs to hold the leather from top to bottom and feed it evenly through the machine. You should find any of these feet on even the portable heavy duty sewing machine or the low and medium range sewing machines in the market. Other Items You Should Use Experts recommend that you use polyester or nylon thread instead of cotton. Polyester or upholstery thread or nylon threads are much better and more efficient for sewing leather because you may easily damage the cotton thread. It would be best if you also considered using a long stitch length. You can set your machine at 4, which is the most extended stitch length on some machines. The stitch length may vary depending on the machine, but you must ensure your option is at least 3-4mm long. Shorter stitches are known to perforate the leather, causing them to tear. Secure Your Thread Ends with Knot and Hold Leather in Place Without Pins Though pins are used in holding layers of fabrics in sewing, they are, however, unsuitable for sewing leather on your heavy duty home sewing machine. You can, however, use the quilter’s holding clips in place of the pins. They will hold your leather together but make sure there are no sharp edges on them that can cut through your leather. When sewing leather, it is essential to secure the threads at the beginning and the end of each row of stitching. You can do this by tying them in a knot, as opposed to backstitching. Sewing back and forth on leather can lead to perforations, which could also lead to tearing or splitting in the leather. Make sure you don’t place the knot directly on your stitching line. In addition to choosing the Top Heavy Duty Sewing Machines For Beginners, if you are a beginner, make sure you take your time to sew properly on leather material. You can increase your speed as you become an expert.

Edited
by Allen Davis

Look in a mirror and paint yourself.
Allen Davis, if you enter the word “ inspiration” into the search box above, you will find lots of ideas. We have all had blocks to painting and have shared many ideas. Good luck!
Get out into the towns or a more rural setting  if you prefer. Take  an A2 layout pad and a few sticks of charcoal and let yourself go…  Scribble away working fast and loose! Fill each sheet! You’ll come home with a whole new insight and hopefully inspired.
Don't force it - whenever I do that, I produce rubbish.  Maybe, as you're not me, you wouldn't.  But I advocate taking your time about this - waiting for inspiration to strike of its own accord isn't for everyone, but tends to be what I do.  My biggest  problem is choosing what to paint from the glut of images and scenes available.  
I wonder whether Allen Davis got inspired?
It'd be good to think so: perhaps he'll let us know.  Some years ago, my then landlady's grandsons (from Australia) were staying in the house; they were in their early teens, and one of them, a lad with autism who was I suppose around 12 or 13, would come into my flat and watch me painting: he would come in the next day and ask "Haven't you finished it yet?". as if he'd commissioned the thing....  I suppose I found this something of a spur to keep at it, in the end!   I really ought to invite him back - not inspiration, exactly, but - encouraging, anyway. 
Few good ideas from Max Hale for kick-starting your creativity here https://www.painters-online.co.uk/tips-techniques/oil/articles/reinventing-your-art/
Very interesting article by Max Hale, and so true. Personally, I like a variety of subject matter and I paint whatever attracts me. I even tackled quite an industrial subject recently - it attracted me because of the shapes and colours and it was certainly a challenge re perspective and angles. I was even pleased with the result, quite unusual for me! Changing medium too provides new interest - my favourite now is oils but recently I have used acrylic, oil pastel and dry pastel. This week I organised a “daily painting” session at our club. Everyone had a go at a 6” square format, something out of the ordinary for many but I think we all enjoyed it. Kick- starting our art is definitely worth doing.
Yes, good article by Max Hale -- certainly changing the dimensions on which you usually paint can produce interesting results and inspire you to meet different challenges; I have several different mediums - oil, acrylic, watercolour, pen and ink, charcoal, conté crayon, coloured pencils, brush and ink - and agree that this variety (and THAT'S only scratching the surface - far more to extend into if I want to) also helps to maintain interest.  Keep digging 'em out, Dawn!