Venturing into mixed media

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I like to know the dimensions, and the medium - that's all, but I do like to know. I have difficulties with titles myself - I saw a painting on Facebook today by Malcolm Ludvigsen (who used to show his work here) entitled "Gloomy" - which I felt lacked a certain je ne sais quoi, though you couldn't argue with its accuracy I suppose. What also helps is when artists manage to get their blasted pictures posted the right way up, instead of assuming that this website, unlike every other website, will allow you to flip images from portrait to landscape format after you've uploaded them.
Not worth lying awake for John - what's in a name?? By my book it is mixed media - but you could just list the mediums used if it worries you.
Give posterity a helping hand your art estate just might have value and without a name it's very hard to attribute any unnamed artwork...
Michael—I've read my post again and I can't see how you arrive at that near-conclusion. No I didn't say that. The size, the medium, the surface may all be evident if I'm looking at the work itself. But I'd still like to have some idea (as might be given in the catalogue for example) about the motivation for the work. Of course I can 'appreciate' it without that but knowing it may well add to my appreciation and understanding. None of this is available to me in looking at a jpeg online that has not even the basic information; a jpeg that may or may not be well photographed; a jpeg that I can't control the size and resolution of to (for example) see some detail more clearly. A jpeg in which the colours will be far removed from the original; a jpeg which will not show (for example again) collaged material or relief textures to best effect and may even hide them altogether. Do you see where I'm coming from as we used to say? It's a totally inadequate way to view artwork—and in digital terms the jpeg is an appallingly poor file format. The information changes none of that but it may help to overcome some of the inadequacies just a tiny little bit and I suppose I just don't understand the need for secrecy in what is a form of visual communication. As for the naming, it may or may not add anything and for myself I prefer simple descriptive names for my landscapes and when I come across a "Between, Together, Betwixt" type title I'm immediately turned off to a degree but that's just me. So I only give the title any serious regard if I feel I might want to reference the work in some way in the future. If you want people to make of your abstracts what they will, that's fine, but you're probably not going to know—beyond the brief often superficial comments in a gallery like the ones here—so how does that help you? (You may say that you're not looking for 'help' but art is—I repeat—a form of visual communication and I have an intent when I produce a work and I like to know if that intent is in any way successful). The common way to avoid leading the viewer, especially with abstract work is the good old Untitled. Made up words? Well ok but isn't that leading? Might not people ponder on what the word means? (Or think it's a SWALK acronym or something?)
Thank you Syd ,,,,you keep the forum moving many times ,when it is dormant ..,I think many people try mixed media when they become bored with watercolours and find them difficult .so they turn to other media ,,I don't mind a gallery showing these other media ,it is all interesting and art, but maybe in a separate room ,,they are not pure watercolours ,but so are a lot of so called watercolours ..and names are important ,but don't we all make them up . I know if I name it a field in Norfolk ,,.. or a field in Lancashire . or a castle in Wigan,a village idiot will look , but women are nosiest ,what, s on the table at the back the painting , where did you buy those curtains behind the flowers ,,,, name it red nudes in the sun ..I can guarantee plenty views , tee hee, -----oh gawd why oh why did my mam name me Alan ...I would have loved ,Maximillion van Owen ,,,now wouldn't,t that look great on my paintings I would be world famous by now .

Edited
by alanowen

Showing page 2 of 2