Pro colour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've been using Pro Colour paints for the past 5 years. When googling to see if there are any new products on their website, the website search came up with Pro colour pencils??? I'm confused as it does not look like its the same company? How can 2 companies be called the same name within the art industry??? Very confusing!!!! Anyway I only need the paints but does anyone else think this is wrong???
Welcome to the Forum Amanda - I just advised you on your blog to come onto the Forum - you already had! The pro-colour paints seems to be based in America - if I googled the right company. But they don't seem to produce the pencils. According to the website Derwent make the procolour pencils - which is in U.K so in this instance "procolour" is not the name of the manufacturers but the range of pencil.
Pro-colour paints is a company run by Linda Wain, which parted brass rags with Chromacolour UK which was once part of Chromacolour International, based in Canada. The Canada-based company seems to have gone bust, and Chromacolour UK is probably rightfully regarded as its legitimate successor - though the two fought like ferrets in a sack before they split. So far as I know, Procolour produce much the same paint as was originally supplied by the Canadian parent. Chromacolour UK on the other hand has worked with the artist Chris Christopherou to make certain changes - of what kind and extent isn't clear to me - to the basic product. And bad blood lies between them. All very unfortunate, because both produce good paint. So if there is some confusion as to who makes what and where, this is hardly a surprise. And if that's cleared anything up for you, I shall certainly be surprised - it's been a rather messy business process. If Derwent make the pencils, they'll be a good product - Linda Wain's company may supply them, though I don't think they do, but there's no connection otherwise. By the way, there's another company, this time called Chroma, based in Australia - which so far as I know isn't affiliated with Procolour UK or Chromacolour UK. But the process of trying to get to the bottom of all this is like lifting a stone and observing the wriggling creatures beneath.

Edited
by RobertJones