Digital Painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I'm with Alan on this. It is always interesting to know the size and medium of an item in the gallery, regardless of it being digital, oil, pencil, watercolour or whatever. I also agree that it is good to see some discussion on this forum as it has become a very quiet corner of late.
Vaguely related to this topic (via i-pad art) David Hockney's new stained glass window for her majesty in Westminster Abbey. I'm sure future generations will look at this and think "God save the Queen"..or something...Views? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/26/david-hockney-designs-first-ipad-window-westminster-abbey-honour/
I saw the Hockney windows on the news. Generally speaking I'm a fan of his work, but these windows are a disappointment. Daylight through any window design will enhance them considerably, but I've seen many better modern designs than these. So, a bit underwhelmed. Lew.
Thanks for the link Jim, I'm not impressed with it though. Why oh why can't people put the medium and size on their work, I really don't understand it as it doesn't take any time at all. In fact I've asked someone today to clarify their medium, probably won't get an answer as quite a few don't even say thankyou for comments. How rude!!
Getting off the digital subject, I'm not even going there, but I saw the Hockney stained glass window and think its awful, but i'm not a Hockney fan, never was never will be, even though my maiden name was Hockney, don't think I'm related !!! Had my little outburst, Linda D
I have been reading this discussion with interest. I'm not the greatest Hockney fan and I am neither a Christian nor a royalist so perhaps I'm not entitled to join the debate. However I do recognise the role of all historic buildings religious or otherwise and our need to preserve them for ourselves and future generations. This particular work from what I can see on a small screen doesn't fire me with enthusiasm but I he is held in esteem by many and he is an important artist of the era. Having said all that I am left in a quandary. Is this work suitable? Why are we paying homage to Royalty in a Church? Why a modernist piece in a traditional setting? Why? Well for me the jury is out but I will, no doubt, be seeing it in the flesh before long and I will make up my own mind - but I will take some persuading.
The honouring the Queen part is understandable, because Westminster Abbey has become the national church, where traditionally marriages and funerals are held for certain people, including the royal family. And that was the easy bit. On to the windows - well; Westminster Abbey is a big place, and this window is in the north transept. I take it that the previous window had suffered some damage or degradation, or don't quite see the point of replacing it: the Queen could have been honoured in any number of ways by Hockney or anyone else. I'd have to see it to know if I thought it appropriate or not, but it's impossible to get an impression of one window in a huge building from a photograph. And just for the record, I wouldn't want to paint like Hockney - though I'd quite like his cash, if he wouldn't mind siphoning a bit of it this way - but then I wouldn't want to paint like Michaelangelo either: and if that's too cryptic: I like his work.
Revisiting the subject of the Hockney window...I watched a program about it last night (on BBC catch-up in the 'Imagine' series). I found it full of interest. The Dean of Westminster, who commissioned it, didn't want a lot of heraldic symbols etc, he wanted something modern. He was less than enthusiastic about all the existing windows. A surprising fact, to me, was that none of them are made from colored glass...they are all painted. Over its life the cathedral has lost most of it's windows...Cromwell...World War 2...so the Hockney window is the ONLY window in the Abbey actually made off colored glass. I have to say the new window shone with luminous color and made the existing windows look lack-lustre. The program showed the astonishing skills of the window makers, and the glass markers, all using skills developed a 1000 years ago. That fact that Hockney 'designed' it on an i-pad is a mischievous fact much touted by the media. The i-pad pic was merely a first sketch, Hockney thinking the back-lit image would give some indication of windows backlit by daylight...as you'd expect he went on to produce highly detailed, and accurate, drawings for the window makers (who he worked closely with). I suspect this window will become loved over time, although I don't think it's his best work. If you enjoy the processes of art, and haven't seen this program, give it a look.
I watched the same programme and found it fascinating. I agree that the window is not Hockney's best work but I'm going to try and see it for real when I am in town next month.
I agree Marjorie, I like listening to Hockney talking about art. I admire a huge swathe of his work, but, because he's so prolific, there's another swathe I don't like at all. I liked the very last shot of this program...it showed Hockney in the Abbey just after the new window had been consecrated (if that's the right word). The expression on his face was a kind of joyous wonderment...a great moment for him...regardless of doubts about the design, I don't think any of us would deny him his moment.
Showing page 2 of 2