The things we do when we're not paying attention (or self-confoundment as practiced by moi).

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I like Hockney talking about art, I'll have to look out for that book. Yes Denise, it's all too human to make mistakes, and artists are no exception.  I admire Caravaggio's art too, despite showing the error above.  If anything, it makes the work more interesting to me.
I don't think you are talking nonsense, I had never noticed the hand in "Supper at Emmaus.." and now its been pointed out its the first thing I see which in some ways has spoilt the picture for me. Art is very subjective and should be treated as such and if a picture gives you pleasure just enjoy it. Like you Caravaggio is one of my favourites. 
Was it an error?  Strictly speaking yes - but that leaves Caravaggio's intentions out of the question; it's entirely possible that this is what he intended to do.  
Or maybe he was using old Handy Luigi as his model - well know for having a right-hand like a spade..... 
I think you've cracked it with old Luigi, Robert.  Most of the models I've used seem to have some physical oddity, it's the only possible reason for my results.
I agree with you Lewis.  Models generally have some irregularity.  I’ve been organising all my art stuff including old sketches and found evidence of all these irregularities.  However, I’ve also discovered that in the last 10 year, I don’t seem to have become more accurate at all!
Showing page 2 of 2