Sketch book advice

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I wasn’t sure what section to post this question in so apologies if the general discussion is wrong. I am looking for some advice. I have recently bought a couple of nice sketchbooks, a huge A3 Moleskine sketch book and a Hahnemühle landscape sketchbook.  They are both 165lb gsm and say they are suitable for dry media. The question I have is are they suitable for acrylic paints? And do I need to gesso the page before using acrylics. I have only sketched with graphite in a sketch book before and would like to use these for acrylics, pencils, potentially inks but I heard with acrylics you should prep the page first. Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Edited
by Carrie Flinte

Good place to ask in general discussion Carrie.  I use both of those both the Hannamule and the Moleskine.  Good choice. I haven’t used acrylic on either of them but more or less everything else with no problem.   Can’t see why you need to use gesso the paper is good and thick.  Suggest you have a play and a bit of experimentation.   Do post your findings.  
Sylvia is correct here, you can use acrylics directly on to paper, you could also add a coat of gesso which will prevent the paint sinking in and potentially going flat. But for sketchbook work it wouldn’t be particularly beneficial in my view.
Thank you both for the advice. I am so looking forward to cracking these new sketchbooks open.