Mount cutters

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I’d like to cut my own mounts for my paintings and seem to remember some recommendations in the past from members who do this. Unfortunately I didn’t make a note of the comments at the time. Can you help?
Hi Christine I've tried cutting my own with all the different gadgets never had any luck. So I always paint to a standard size mount ...
Hi Christine.  I think the thread you are looking for is in the Questions and Answers section about 4 months ago.
I made a recommendation on that thread Christine, it’s the mount cutter that I’ve used for donkeys years. It’s the Logan mount cutter, goes under the name of Team Logan which comes with its own ruler with a guide which the cutter runs along. Really simple to use and I can cut accurate bevel edges fast and with ease. Definitely the best one on the market, and I’ve tried a fair few over the years. Spare blades are cheap but buy the Logan brand, NOT the cheaper unbranded rubbish. If you need any other information let me know.
I’ll second Alan’s recommendation for the Logan mount cutter, it’s good quality and easy to use Christine.
Yes, As Fiona has said, it’s good quality and sturdy. You can adjust the cutting blade depth also for thicker board. There’s no reason that anyone with a modicum of crafting skills can’t master the technique of mount cutting, but there are some dreadful cutters out there so beware! Obviously you’ll need to practice a few cuts on scrap board, but you cut the bevel from the back of the mountboard with the Logan, thereby keeping the front pristine! Top tip: Instead of using the standard cutting mats (usually green), try cutting using a piece of mountboard underneath instead - you can set the blade to just lightly cut into the top surface and the blade will glide through more smoothly than with the plastic mat.
Thank you very much Alan and Fiona. I’ll have a look at that one. Thanks for your help. 
its the Logan mount cutter for me also. Top tips from Alan as well. I also use mine for cutting foam board, useful stuff for mounting finished cross stitch pictures. with the right cutter you can also cut glass on to as well.