Gallery

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
It’s nice to see abstracts on the gallery!  I know they’re not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’ but I’m enjoying seeing more of them. 
I agree Ellen, something I would love to learn to do. I get the ideas sometimes but can’t translate it on to paper.
Hi Katy, I paint abstracts/semi abstracts and I find it quite hard to make your brain think outside the box. I’d love to see a series in The Artist about abstracts. 
 Ellen, I think that would be a great idea. I don't really understand much about abstract but I like it when I see it. It would be nice to see a couple of articles or a series about it.
I'm not so sure that you need to know much about abstracts to enjoy them. After all representational art is enjoyed by millions who know little if anything about it.  As for painting abstracts just think of patterns, composition, balance, palette as you do with other forms of art and  then simply create patterns - okay that's an over-simplification but a great way to get your mindset focused. Yes it does take practice as does any form of art but it is so liberating and refreshing after painting the predictable fare which can become so so boring. And I paint in both genres.
And this has just prompted me to post another of my pen abstracts in the gallery.