Advice on painting a mural

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I would certainly heed Robert's advice regarding preparation of surface and varnish etc, especially if you are being paid a fee, but I have to admit that I did neither apart from a quick inspection of the wall to check for drawing pin holes and bluetac! As previously stated, the mural was in a school canteen so atmospheric conditions were hardly perfect ie plenty of steam and heat generated by the cooks,kids and teachers, but it has withstood the ravages of time very well. I did the work as a favour and so I feel no guilt over my lack of preparation or aftercare even if it does a 'Last Supper' and starts to disappear!
Helen, I asked my friend what she used for her conservatory mural and the answer was the little tester pots of emulsion , of which they bought the three primary colours and were able to mix from those. Of course in their case it was their own wall and d they didn’t have the stress of getting it right for a client!   I d o also like Alan’s idea of a triptych which would obviously be moveable in the future. Do let us know how you get on!
Many thanks Tessa
I’ve never painted a mural, but I do paint in a conservatory, which is often either to hot or too cold.  In hot weather acrylics dry out really quickly, but also paints need to be lightfast, so some colours/ manufacturers are a No-no. 
Showing page 2 of 2